Blog has moved, searching new blog...

Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Scripture Power

We are trying something new at our house these days.

This all came about due to an incident a couple of Saturdays ago that made Bryson and I take a hard look at what we were teaching our children.

Due to his high council responsibilities, Bryson has to give a talk in one of the various church congregations in our area every third Sunday.

Consequentially, every third Saturday you can find him sitting at our kitchen table putting some of his thoughts together-- researching past Conference addresses, writing outlines, or reading scriptural passages.


This month, Taylor walked in on the deliberations.
He saw Bryson with his scriptures.
And became slightly indignant.

"DAD," he chastised,

"scriptures are for CHURCH!"

Clearly the wrong message was getting across.

So now every night, we've been setting aside time for reading in the illustrated children's scripture books that the Church publishes.

We weren't sure how this was going to go over given our kids' extremely limited attention spans, but so far they have absolutely loved it. Taylor now even refuses to go to bed without "scripture stories." I have been amazed.

Taylor thinks Nephi and his boat are way cool.
And he doesn't think Laman & Lemuel are very nice. (his words)

Just 5 minutes every night, and already there is a tangible difference.
Who would have thought?

1 comment:

I love to read each of your comments!
Please be kind and respectful to one another-- I reserve the right to moderate & edit otherwise! :)