Blog has moved, searching new blog...

Friday, January 9, 2009

Blue Eyes, Green Eyes

In Bryson's family, blue eyes are a certain badge of honor.
Something to be treasured, like a valuable genetic family heirloom.

And it's clear why.
The whole family has gorgeous baby blues.
My fabulous sister-in-law Linda--who also married into the blue-eyed clan-- and I joke about our "dark" eyes.
Dark, as in blue-green & green-hazel. In fact, our wonderful mother-in-law has commented about Linda's beautiful "brown" eyes on more than one well-intentioned occasion.

We take it all in stride.
After all, our loving husbands seem to like us this way just fine.
And we like ourselves this way too.
Blue may be pure, but green is beguiling, intriguing.
Or something like that.

But honestly, who can really blame her-- when your whole family has eyes like this:


Everything else must look brownish in comparison.

However, the funny thing is-- Reilly is rebelling against family honor.

Yesterday-- in all her disheveled morning glory-- Reilly blissfully informed me, "Mom, my eyes are green!"

I broke the news gently.
"Oh sweetie, your eyes aren't green. They're a beautiful blue!"

She looked at me with her fiery cobalt peepers and spoke with all the passion a two-year-old can conjure up.
"NO. They're NOT blue. My eyes are GREEN."



Hmmm.
I decided to just let it go.

However, this morning as I was enjoying my daily yoga fix, Reilly approached with interest.
Moving into upward facing dog, Reilly put her little face mere centimeters from my face and squinted at me.
"Mom, you have beautiful green eyes."

"Oh, well, thank you, sweetheart! That's so nice."

"I have beautiful green eyes too!"
*sigh*
She has become quite insistent about it.

But, to be honest, I'm thrilled that she seems to find my "dark" eyes something to be desired.
In a family of crystal blue beauties I was starting to feel a smidgen insecure.

3 comments:

  1. Tiffany--I must say I truly enjoy reading your blog. You have a fabulous way of telling the simplest stories. You should be a columnist in a great newspaper!

    ReplyDelete

I love to read each of your comments!
Please be kind and respectful to one another-- I reserve the right to moderate & edit otherwise! :)