Music stirs my soul.I've found that there are two kinds of people in this world-- those for whom music is merely a nice diversion (Bryson), and those for whom music is a complete and utter passion (me).
While I was writing yesterday's post, I was listening to my favorite piece of music... ever.
It's the first aria of a motet by Antonio Vivaldi, entitled Nulla in Mundo Pax Sincera. It makes my spirit soar every time I hear it. I can listen to it over and over, and never grow tired of it.
At any rate, after I was finished writing yesterday, I became curious.
Exactly what is that lovely Italian soprano singing about?
Knowing enough French & Spanish to make passable guesses at translation I had my hunches, but decided to find a definitive English transcription last night.
So, for your cultural enlightenment, here is the Vivaldi aria and its English translation. After all my personal battles this past week, I found it especially timely.
No wonder I love this so much.
Enjoy.
Original Italian:
Nulla in mundo pax sincera
sine felle; pura et vera,
dulcis Jesu, est in te.
Inter poenas et tormenta
vivit anima contenta
casti amoris sola spe.
Translation:
In this world there is no honest peace
free from bitterness; pure and true
peace, sweet Jesus, lies in Thee.
Amidst punishment and torment
lives the contented soul,
chaste love its only hope.
Nulla in mundo pax sincera
sine felle; pura et vera,
dulcis Jesu, est in te.
Inter poenas et tormenta
vivit anima contenta
casti amoris sola spe.
Translation:
In this world there is no honest peace
free from bitterness; pure and true
peace, sweet Jesus, lies in Thee.
Amidst punishment and torment
lives the contented soul,
chaste love its only hope.



No comments:
Post a Comment
I love to read each of your comments!
Please be kind and respectful to one another-- I reserve the right to moderate & edit otherwise! :)