We look around us and see the bountiful blessings that have been freely given and praise God for His goodness.
At other times, however, we might search with discouragement, for God seems so very far away. Life is not always a smooth and beautiful ride, laden with luxury and ease.
Sometimes, being thankful is hard.
I have been thinking a lot about my friend Paige, and the tragedies she and her family have been living through recently. Even though I have been through some very difficult and trying times in my own life, I am uncertain how I would cope with the loss of one husband, let alone two. I am pretty sure I wouldn't move through those tragedies with the same grace and faith as my dear friend.
How is it possible to feel gratitude at a time like that?
Where is the justice and mercy of an all-loving God?
A few weeks ago, my good friend Hope sent me a link to an essay written by Carlfred Broderick, a therapist and former stake president. In it, he tells the story of an event he attended for eleven-year-old girls who were matriculating from the church's Primary program to the Young Women's organization. As part of the event, they had a beautiful, over-the-top program based on The Wizard of Oz. An eleven year old Dorothy and her friends skipped down the smoothly paved yellow brick road on their way to Oz-- which cleverly was made to resemble a beautiful temple. Once they arrived at "Oz," they had it made. All along the way, there were no bumps in the road. No missing bricks, no flying monkeys, no wicked witch, nothing.
At the end of the program, the Stake Primary President invited President Broderick to the pulpit to make some remarks. He knew that what he was about to say would most likely not be especially appreciated by those who had put on the program, but he felt it was crucial to make a few points clear.
He said:
Girls, this has been a beautiful program. I commend the gospel with all of its auxiliaries and the temple to you, but I do not want you to believe for one minute that if you keep all the commandments and live as close to the Lord as you can... that bad things will not happen to you. And when that happens, I do not want you to say that God was not true. Or to say, they promised me... that if I [was] very, very good, I would be blessed.
When [tragedies] happen, do not say God is not keeping His promises to me. The gospel of Jesus Christ is not insurance against pain. It is resource in event of pain, and when that pain comes (and it will come, because we came here on earth to have pain among other things), when it comes, rejoice that you have resource to deal with your pain.
Rejoice, because we have resource to deal with our pain.
Even in the midst of darkness and despair, we can be thankful-- for we are not alone. We are not left comfortless.
President Marvin J. Ashton affirmed, "Sometimes as children we were told that everything would be all right. But life is not like that. No matter who you are, you will have problems. Tragedy and frustration are the unexpected intruders on life's plans. Someone has said, 'Life is what happens to you while you are busy making other plans.' It is important that we do not look upon our afflictions as a punishment from God. True, our own actions may cause some of our problems, but often there is no evident misconduct that has caused our trials. Just the normal journey through life teaches us that nothing worthwhile comes easy."
("If Thou Endure It Well," October 1984 Conference Report)
A song that I have been listening to a lot these days is "Gratitude," by Nichole Nordeman. The message in the lyrics is that even when we don't receive the blessings we so earnestly desire, that we can give thanks for the lessons we are learning as we diligently seek the Lord and strive to do His will. It is a lesson I am continually learning piece by piece in my own life.In the Book of Mormon, Amulek delivers this powerful testimony:
...Take upon you the name of Christ; that you humble yourselves even to the dust, and worship God, in whatsoever place ye may be in, in spirit and in truth; and that ye live in thanksgiving daily, for the many mercies and blessings which he doth bestow upon you.
And now my beloved brethren, I would exhort you to have patience, and that ye bear with all manner of afflictions... with a firm hope that ye shall one day rest from all your afflictions.
(Alma 34:38, 40-41)
I love that.Even in the midst of afflictions-- deep and dark ones-- we are still blessed beyond compare. For we are children of a King, and He will strengthen us, help us, and cause us to stand. (See "How Firm a Foundation," verse 3)
Our personal road of mortality is fraught with twists and turns. But just because we stumble and fall-- sometimes hard-- it doesn't mean that our journey is at an end. It is only part of the process.
These words from Ammon from the pages of the Book of Mormon also fill me with a joyous hope:
Now when our hearts were depressed, and we were about to turn back, behold, the Lord comforted us, and said... bear with patience thine afflictions, and I will give unto you success.
Now have we not reason to rejoice? Yea, I say unto you, there never were men that had so great reason to rejoice as we, since the world began; yea, and my joy is carried away, even unto boasting in my God; for he has all power, and all wisdom, and all understanding; he comprehendeth all things, and he is a merciful Being, even unto salvation, to those who will repent and believe on his name.
(Alma 26:27,35)
And for that, I give thanks.
• • •
This post is part of a series hosted by the Book of Mormon Forum!
Link up your posts to our blog hop below.
To learn more about the Book of Mormon, please visit this website.

• • •
Link up your posts to our blog hop below.
To learn more about the Book of Mormon, please visit this website.

• • •

Lovely post. I enjoy listening to Nichole Nordeman. Have you heard her sing "Beautiful For Me?" I made my daughters listen to it. :)
ReplyDeleteOh, I love that song! Nichole Nordeman is a definite favorite around here. :)
ReplyDeleteBeautiful.
ReplyDeleteWhat a lovely post. You and I seem to have been quite in sync with our take on the topic of gratitude this week. ;) You are a great writer - I hope you don't mind me sharing this post on my facebook page? I'm sure it will touch everyone that reads it.
ReplyDeleteNot at all, Jen, I'm so glad you enjoyed it. :)
ReplyDeleteWonderful post! I reposted the song on facebook. =) I recently lost a friend to Crohn's disease. Her funeral was so Christ-centered and beautiful. I took comfort in her family's faith and testimony of the gospel of Jesus Christ. It hasn't been easy, but they do look forward to seeing her again, and that has made all the difference. There is also love and comfort in this life when we look to Christ. Thanks for posting. =)
ReplyDelete