It should probably be said that Reilly is her Daddy's little girl. She absolutely adores her father and savors every moment that they are able to share together.
She has even adopted a little mantra when it comes to all things Daddy:
"I go where you go."
Whether it's doing chores, visiting neighbors, or just hanging around the house, when Bryson asks Reilly what she would like to do, the answer is always the same.
I go where you go.
But over the weekend, a complication was encountered.
Bryson, being a cycling enthusiast, decided to go for a ride. After an intense workout he returned to the house and asked Taylor if he would like to join him for his cool down around the neighborhood. Taylor, being quite the biker himself, quickly agreed and raced upstairs to join his daddy.
Reilly followed.
"Dad," she pleaded, "I want to come too!"
This was a problem.
You see, for the past year Reilly has fought against learning to ride her bike. She took a slight spill several months ago, and has adamantly refused to continue learning ever since. Her only mode of transportation currently involves her small pink scooter, with which she is honestly just as fast as she is on foot. Bryson, who struggles to slow down enough to have Taylor join him could not possibly involve Reilly in their ride on her little scooter. She would be left alone in the dust.
His face fell as Reilly looked up at him with those big trusting eyes.
"I'm sorry, Reilly," he explained, "but you won't be able to keep up with us on your scooter. Maybe we can practice riding your bike later after we get back. But for right now you're going to have to stay here with Mom and the twins."
She became crestfallen.
"But Dad," she exclaimed, "I go where you go! I go where you go!"
It was a pretty heart-wrenching sight.
And as I wrapped my arms around her and wiped away her tears, I started thinking.
On our journey here through mortality, we lean on one another quite frequently. This is particularly true with members of our family, with whom we anticipate spending all of eternity. As children, we learn and grow under the tutelage of our parents, experiencing life's lessons in a somewhat protected environment. But sooner or later, we all have to spread our wings and develop our own independent strength and knowledge.
If we don't put in the work to learn, be it things secular or spiritual, we will eventually get left behind. There are some things that simply cannot be done for us. And there is no amount of love that can "fix" the situation when those moments come. If we are not prepared, if we have not prioritized our lives properly, we will be too late.
As a mom, I realized that day that it is imperative that I prepare my children for a future where they can stand ready for whatever life throws at them.
Because when that day comes, I don't want to hear the same heartbreaking cry that I heard recently from my sweet little daughter. I want to be able to face the moment with our hands clasped together, and looking at each other say with confidence, "I go where you go."
And we will move forward in faith together.

This is a beautiful post. Well written, well thought out. Just lovely.
ReplyDeleteThank you so much for your sweet comments! :) It really means a lot. Best wishes.
ReplyDelete