Blog has moved, searching new blog...

Friday, September 2, 2011

Lunch Box Love Notes

When I was young, my mom and dad would occasionally pack little love notes in with my brown bag lunch.  Often, they were written on little bits of paper or notecards.  Sometimes-- usually from my dad-- they were written directly onto the brown paper bag itself in thick black permanent marker.  This continued throughout my school years-- even high school.  I probably feigned embarrassment as a teenager, but even then I secretly adored every hand-penned sentiment.

So, as Taylor began his first year of full day school, I decided to follow suit.  I wrote a quick little note with a red colored pencil-- his favorite color-- telling him how proud I was of him, how much I loved him, and reminding him to make good choices while he was at school.  I stuck it in his lunch box without a word, and off he went for his full day.

That afternoon upon his arrival, I asked him how lunch had gone.

"Good," he said, and then added, "You put a note in my lunch box, Mom!"
"Yes, I sure did."
"How come?"
"Well, I just wanted to let you know that I was thinking about you and that I love you very much."
He looked thoughtful.
"Was that okay?" I asked.
"Yes," he grinned sheepishly.  "I saved it."
"You saved my note?"
"Yes, I put it in my classroom."  He paused, as though debating whether to tell me the rest of the story or not.  "I wanted to keep it in case I got a little scared or lonely at school.  Then it will help me feel better!"

Sometimes it really is the little things in life that make the biggest difference.
I love my little man.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read each of your comments!
Please be kind and respectful to one another-- I reserve the right to moderate & edit otherwise! :)