Blog has moved, searching new blog...

Monday, January 26, 2009

My Fall From Grace

So...
yesterday was one of those days.

Bryson was up to his ears in meetings, we had sick & ornery kids at home, and I was feeling overwhelmed. Even the weather was gloomy-- freezing rain, mixed with snow.

Being that Bryson was supposed to have sustainings to accomplish during Sacrament Meeting, we decided that I would take the first shift with the kids. Bryson would then rush home so I could be back to get my responsibilities with nursery taken care of during second hour.

But, as fate would have it, Sacrament Meeting went long. And soon, the clock was approaching 10:30. I started to get a little panicky. And not a little cranky. I was supposed to have everything in its place by 10:20. I had teachers and children counting on me to be there. Ack!

A couple minutes later, Bryson pulled in the driveway, and I sped off in a rush.
I found a parking spot close to my desired entrance, loaded all the nursery snacks in my arms, and stepped out of the car.

And the next thing I knew, I was sprawled out on the black asphalt. Snacks were flying through the air. I was drenched to the skin.

It was fantastic.

After I got over the initial shock, I became aware of an insistent pain in my left leg. Glancing down, I realized I hadn't chosen a very wise landing position. I was in a modified split position, with my left knee & foot crumpled underneath me, and my right leg sprawled behind me.

As I looked at my left knee, I let out an audible groan of frustration.
It was the same leg on which I had recently injured my iliotibilal band, which has kept me from running for the last few weeks. Of course.

I shakily rose to my feet and started to gather up my things, when a very nice man that I had never met came to my aid. Apparently, when you fall along with several pounds of nursery snacks, it creates quite a ruckus. Fighting the urge to tell him I was fine, that I didn't need help, I swallowed my pride (the few last remaining shreds) and gratefully accepted his assistance.

Arriving in the building, I was hurting and fighting back tears.
Almost immediately I was descended upon my our fabulous Relief Society President, a kindly retired police officer from our congregation, and a good friend of mine who also happened to be the previous bishop's wife. Not a bad group to be in your rescue party.
In a whirlwind of motion, I was suddenly sitting down, my responsibilities were being tended to for me, and I was given cold damp compresses to help stop the bleeding.

I was bleeding?
Looking down, I saw the tattered remains of my poor black nylons-- may they rest in peace-- and open wounds on my knee & foot.
Again-- fantastic.
Now it is true that I was terribly wet and terribly sore. But most of all, I was simply terribly embarrassed.

I tried to shrug it off and get about my business, but my rescue party eventually talked some sense into me. What I needed was rest, and ice.

Lots of ice.

I was given a most gentlemanly police escort back to my vehicle, where I discovered a school of goldfish crackers swimming free in the parking lot. After arriving home, I collapsed on the bed in an exhausted and tearful heap, and spent the greater part of the day there with my ice-packed leg.

What a day.


But there are lessons to be learned:

1. Don't get cranky with your husband if he is running late. There is probably a good explanation. And even if there's not, crankiness never made the world a better place.

2. Never, never wear slick flats to church when there is freezing rain in the forecast. Big chunky boots are always better.

3. Unless you want to set them free, always keep goldfish crackers in a sealed container. You never know when chaos may strike.

and most importantly...

4. Don't be too proud to accept help from others from time to time. Not only will it bless your own life in a time of need, but it allows blessings to flow in their lives as well.



I am so grateful for the kindness of friends & neighbors.
And tomorrow is another day.

3 comments:

  1. I'm sorry you had such a horrible day. I hope that your leg heals up soon and you can get back to running because I know how much you love it. Hopefully your kids will get feeling better a.s.a.p.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry! I'm sure you looked most graceful! ;) Have you read Diana's blog lately? She had a similar experience a few weeks ago. Although, she wasn't hurt. Hope you feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks you guys...
    I am hobbling around like a little old lady today, but hopefully things will turn around soon. :)
    And yes, Amy, I did immediately think of Diana after it happened!!! :) Guess I'm in good company!

    ReplyDelete

I love to read each of your comments!
Please be kind and respectful to one another-- I reserve the right to moderate & edit otherwise! :)