It is because, apparently, I am a glutton for punishment. You would think that one 38-lb. box of apples would be more than enough to satisfy any fruit-crazed individual... But fate found the kids & I back at the Big Red Barn again.
We had come to get a small bag of apples to bring to Taylor's preschool class Halloween party. It was supposed to be a simple in & out procedure. Get in, get the apples, and leave before some kitchen-crazy idea entered my head. Trouble is, it rarely works out that way for me. We got into the crisper and I noticed that the Jonathan supply was alarmingly low. Thinking of all the goodies I hoped to put up this autumn, I grabbed another box instead. Another 38 lb. box. I have no idea what I was thinking.
So this week has been spent swimming in apples. Bryson helped me get a large batch ready to dry on our handy-dandy dehydrator by peeling/coring/slicing the apples on our fantastic contraption that does all 3 chores at once. (That wonderful man, boy I tell you...) Yesterday was applesauce day, and I put up several quarts of that pink ambrosia. I am hoping to get some apple chutney made before too long as well... and maybe some apple pie filling? Hmmmmm....
Ok, I seriously want one of those donuts so bad! I'm not big on fruit (I know, bad me) but you put it in a donut and I'm all over it!
ReplyDeleteYou are my kitchen idol. Seriously!
ReplyDelete