Alice Walker queried, "Is solace anywhere more comforting than in the arms of a sister?"Certainly there are few things stronger in life than the bond between sisters-- whether that bond is for good or ill. Certainly I have been blessed in my own life-- with a baby sister that is also my absolute best girlfriend in the world.
Eight years separate us in age, but our friendship knows no such distance. Thick as thieves, we are. ;)
It has been 23 years today since we started our journey as siblings together. 23 years of shared joys, heartaches, lessons, memories.
Has it really been that long? Seems like it was only yesterday I was pounding on her bedroom door asking (read: yelling at) her to please stop singing Aqua's "Barbie Girl" at the top of her lungs.
Ah, now that's good stuff.
I am so grateful on so many different levels to have my sister in my life. In so many ways we could be twins, and yet our differences are actually quite distinctive and complement each other. Her gregarious and fearless nature have taught me that most strangers are just friends-in-waiting. Her determination and tenacity have reminded me that all things are possible if you work hard enough to achieve your dreams. Her struggles with injury and heartache continue to show me that faith and hope can bring you through tremendous obstacles when there is seemingly no light to be found. And hopefully I've taught her a thing or two through the years as well.
As the chapters in our lives continue to unfold, I am glad to have such a strong, kind force for good at my side. Through the good and the bad the blessings of sisterhood remain, and I look forward to some seriously good girl talk in the eternities to come.
Happy Birthday, JJ.
Love you more.
jess is 23?! i watch my siblings age but it's almost more weird to watch my friends' siblins get older. see, that picture is much closer to how i remember the ensign girls. :)
ReplyDelete