I cannot remember the last time I was able to sit in the chapel and truly drink from that spiritual fountain without some form of interruption. Bryson & I try to encourage Taylor & Reilly to think about Jesus, particularly when the sacrament is being passed-- we read books with them, quietly sing songs they have learned... But to be honest, you never really know what lessons are being retained, and what is lost in translation.
A couple Sundays ago our little family was engaged in the ongoing reverence struggle. Taylor & Reilly were arguing over, well, pretty much anything they could find cause for. I pulled Taylor close to my side and quietly starting singing "I am a Child of God" to him, hoping that it would calm him down and help him grasp a moment's focus on the purpose of our church attendance.
Thankfully (heavens be praised) Taylor was quiet for a few moments, even thoughtful. The sacrament was being passed. I was basking in the peaceful quiet when suddenly Taylor loudly blurted out, "Mom, I'm a child of God." A quiet ripple of laughter ran through some of the neighboring pews. Looking over at my little boy, I too had difficulty keeping a straight face.
But then I saw the sincere look on his face.
I hugged Taylor close and reassured him, "Yes, Taylor, yes you are. And He loves you so very much!"
"I have said, ye are gods; and all of you are children of the most High." - Psalms 82:6
That is so precious!!!
ReplyDelete