Having an injured foot is making me restless. So, this translates into excess energy that I've been burning off in the kitchen instead. Yesterday I decided to make an enormous batch of chicken tikka masala and freeze most of it to use on those crazy days I have absolutely no desire to cook. I am a huge fan of the Indian food. And thankfully, it freezes spectacularly. Here is the recipe for my concoction, if you feel similarly inspired... or just really really hungry. :)
Chicken Tikka Masala
Marinade:
5 cups plain yogurt
1/4 cup lemon juice
4 T garam masala
2 T black pepper
2 T salt
1 T cayenne pepper
2 t cinnamon
1 t cumin
3/4 t ground ginger
20 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-size pieces
Sauce:
3 T butter
10 cloves garlic, minced
12 T garam masala
3 T salt
2 t cumin
2 t paprika
10 cups tomato sauce (8 oz = 1 cup)
10 cups milk
3 T cornstarch
1/4 cup water
1. In a large bowl, combine yogurt, lemon juice & rest of spices for marinade. Stir in chicken, cover, & refrigerate at least an hour-- preferably all day for best flavor.
2. Preheat broiler on high.
3. Cover large cookie sheet with foil & nonstick spray. Place chicken on sheet & broil until done... a few minutes each side.
4. Melt butter in a large stockpot over medium heat. Saute garlic for 1 minute. Add tomato sauce & spices to pot. Stir in milk. Bring to a boil, then simmer 20 minutes. Combine cornstarch & water, stirring well, then adding to sauce to help thicken. Cook an additional 5 minutes. Add broiled chicken and simmer 10 minutes. Transfer to a serving bowl, garnish with fresh cilantro if desired. Serve with basmati rice.
Makes approximately 20 servings, give or take.
If you're looking for a good garam masala, I get my spices from a company called Rajah through Amazon. Here's the link if you find yourself in need... I know I have a really hard time finding good Indian spices where we are. The more expensive links are for 6-packs for those of you (like me) who like to buy in bulk and get free shipping. :)
Marinade:
5 cups plain yogurt
1/4 cup lemon juice
4 T garam masala
2 T black pepper
2 T salt
1 T cayenne pepper
2 t cinnamon
1 t cumin
3/4 t ground ginger
20 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-size pieces
Sauce:
3 T butter
10 cloves garlic, minced
12 T garam masala
3 T salt
2 t cumin
2 t paprika
10 cups tomato sauce (8 oz = 1 cup)
10 cups milk
3 T cornstarch
1/4 cup water
1. In a large bowl, combine yogurt, lemon juice & rest of spices for marinade. Stir in chicken, cover, & refrigerate at least an hour-- preferably all day for best flavor.
2. Preheat broiler on high.
3. Cover large cookie sheet with foil & nonstick spray. Place chicken on sheet & broil until done... a few minutes each side.
4. Melt butter in a large stockpot over medium heat. Saute garlic for 1 minute. Add tomato sauce & spices to pot. Stir in milk. Bring to a boil, then simmer 20 minutes. Combine cornstarch & water, stirring well, then adding to sauce to help thicken. Cook an additional 5 minutes. Add broiled chicken and simmer 10 minutes. Transfer to a serving bowl, garnish with fresh cilantro if desired. Serve with basmati rice.
Makes approximately 20 servings, give or take.
If you're looking for a good garam masala, I get my spices from a company called Rajah through Amazon. Here's the link if you find yourself in need... I know I have a really hard time finding good Indian spices where we are. The more expensive links are for 6-packs for those of you (like me) who like to buy in bulk and get free shipping. :)
Holy cow- 20 chicken breasts at a time? I personally am very grateful for that large number and the resulting bag defrosting in my fridge, but wow- that's a recipe to put other recipes to shame! I think you should open a restaurant. As long as it's not more Mexican or Chinese food, I'd say there's a pretty good market here in Payson.
ReplyDelete