Blog has moved, searching new blog...

Sunday, November 16, 2008

Feed My Sheep

When you're in the trenches of motherhood, there inevitably come those days when you question the decision-making process that led you to the present situation in which you now find yourself.

Not that you regret those decisions by any means, or would wish to go back and change things... it's just that there are those overwhelming times when you reflect and wonder how on earth you ever came to find yourself at this moment.

Back in high school I was one of those crazy over-achiever types. You know, officer in the National Honor Society, captain of the swim team, in the school musical... yep, one of those

Consequentially, I was surrounded by like-minded crazy over-achieving friends. These friends have gone on to impressive careers, some of them spanning the globe. Doctors, lawyers, consultants, scientists, professors, nurses, teachers... And I have to confess, there are those days I wonder what they must think of the personal choices I made with regards to my life's path, so different from their own.

Recently, Reilly came up to me, holding Sheep in her arms. Sheep is Reilly's most treasured possession. A little gray ball of fluff that she absolutely dotes on. Sheep goes everywhere with Reilly, be it the gym, grocery store, library, or church. Even in this year's Halloween pictures you can see Reilly running after Taylor to go trick-or-treating... with Sheep.

This day, however, Reilly had kicked it up a notch. She had found one of her baby doll's bottles and was cradling sheep in her arms with it. Bemused, I asked Reilly what she was doing. Reilly looked at me for a moment, then said rather matter-of-factly, "I'm feeding my sheep!"

Well, that gave me a chuckle... I bent over to give her a hug and was suddenly overwhelmed by the emotions I felt for this little girl. So precious, so vibrant, so important to me.

And through my tears the words of John 21 entered my mind...

"He saith to him again... lovest thou me? He saith unto him, Yea Lord; thou knowest that I love thee. He saith unto him, Feed my sheep."

My path might perplex some of my friends, but I know I am exactly where I am supposed to be. I truly believe that the world can be made a better place through the smallest and simplest of actions. It is my desire & hope to be the change I wish to see in the world-- as Mahatma Ghandi so eloquently stated before me. And I truly believe this world can be changed one child, one small act of kindness, one life at a time.

So I continue... doing my best to feed His sheep.

1 comment:

  1. I love your blog- it is like my devotional for the day! It is nice to hear from people who have made choices similar to my own, especially when the majority of the media around us seem to claim those choices are outdated and unimportant. Yay for moms! (Now is when we put on our Mom Jeans and drive our minivans off into the sunset.) ; )

    ReplyDelete

I love to read each of your comments!
Please be kind and respectful to one another-- I reserve the right to moderate & edit otherwise! :)