Blog has moved, searching new blog...

Friday, December 4, 2009

Paleontology Lesson

The other day I took Taylor to the store for a special treat. Having helped his dad clean old frozen tomatoes from the garden, he had earned one whole dollar for his hard work. After paying his tithing, he decided to supplement his earnings with a few more cents from his penny jar so he could afford a new dinosaur for his collection.

After we had dropped Reilly off at preschool, the two of us perused through the different species until he had settled on one in particular.

"Mom," he asked, "what dinosaur is this?"
"Hmmmmm..." I replied, "Well, it kind of looks like a Velociraptor, but I'm not sure."

I flipped the toy over to see what species we had acquired.

Deinonychus.
Super.

"Ummmm," I stumbled, "I think it's a dye-on-NYE-kiss? Something like that?"

Taylor looked at the dinosaur, and then looked back at me.

"Mom," he chastised, "It's a dye-NON-ik-kuss. It means 'terrible claw.' "

Of course it does.
Because there's nothing quite like a four-year-old talking about dinosaurs to make you feel intellectually challenged.

3 comments:

  1. wow! that is awesome!!! I love it!

    Congrats on your twins too! I am so excited for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I get the same kind of thing from Brad. His new room is all dinosaurs and he knows all the names. So fun! We should meet at the museum at Thanksgiving point some time!

    ReplyDelete

I love to read each of your comments!
Please be kind and respectful to one another-- I reserve the right to moderate & edit otherwise! :)