"You're measuring quite a bit larger than we would expect this far along in your pregnancy," the doctor assessed. "I think we'll schedule you for an ultrasound to check if our dates might be off... or we may have to consider the possibility of more than one baby."
My eyes widened, and I couldn't help the nervous laughter that escaped at his pronouncement.
You see, I was pretty sure our dates were correct. Back when we were expecting Taylor & Reilly, our dates were guesswork at best. We never really had an accurate due date with either of them until after our first ultrasounds. However, this time around I was almost academic in recording dates and cycles. I knew the dates couldn't be off-- at least by much. Which left... wait-- did he just say more than one baby?
A little more than 24 hours later Bryson & I met with the ultrasound tech to find out exactly what was going on. There were three outcomes I was mentally preparing myself for:
1. The dates really WERE off, and I seriously needed to go back to school for some remedial math lessons,
2. Something was wrong with the pregnancy,
or...
3. There really was more than one baby on its way.
It didn't take long at all the learn the truth. Literally a second after the tech put the wand on my abdomen they both popped up on the screen in profile. Clear as day.
"Oh my gosh!" I stammered before our sonographer could even say a word.
She grinned, "Do you see what I see?"
Bryson simply stared at the screen and squeezed my hand gently, then turned to me with an expression of both shock and excitement-- an expression that I'm quite certain was mirrored on my own face.
Twins.
Seriously?
Well, as my friend Mistie joked, "I guess that's what you get for listening to things you feel in the temple!"
So many emotions flooded my heart all at once. Surprise, disbelief, anxiety, excitement... and pure unabashed love. Watching those two little ones on the screen filled my heart with humility and awe. To understand that God was trusting these two precious children to our care was unbelievably overwhelming. To realize that my deep heartfelt desire to have four children bless our family was coming to pass-- especially when I had just started to give up hope and accept that my body most likely would not be able to handle yet another pregnancy-- caused me to break down in tears.
So while I am completely overwhelmed and unsure of how this is all going to work out, I know that we will find our way. Because we are not alone. We are never alone.
And for that, I am eternally grateful.
I am still in shock, as I'm sure you are. I am so excited for your little family to gain two more special spirits. What an exciting time for your family! I'm glad the morning sickness is heading out, keep your chin up and let me know if you need anything:)
ReplyDeleteI am so excited for you! I had to go in for an early ultrasound with McKay for the exact same reasons as you! I tried so hard to wrap my head around the POSSIBILITY of having twins. I can't imagine what I would have felt if we really had seen 2 babies! You'll do great with them! Wish I lived closer to really help you out.
ReplyDeleteWow - It's so amazing how the Lord works in our lives. Congratulations again. Please let us know if we can help in any way!
ReplyDeleteSo exciting! Not that I'm an expert by any means, but I can honestly say that "I've been there". Call me anytime:)
ReplyDeleteWow, tiff. that's really amazing. con graduations!
ReplyDeleteCongratulations! That is very exciting.
ReplyDelete