Blog has moved, searching new blog...

Friday, December 18, 2009

Now Bring Us Some Figgy Pudding

It's another Christmas miracle!

Okay, well as far as a miracle goes... probably not so much. But seriously now, ask Bryson what my track record with houseplants is and you'll find that maybe "miracle" isn't too far off the mark after all.

A few years ago I whimsically decided that I really wanted to grow figs. So I did some research and ordered a cute little tree-- a variety that grows quite happily in a large pot-- from my favorite nursery for fruit and other edibles. It arrived shortly thereafter, and ever since it has been my constant companion in my exceptionally cluttered office. (New Year's Resolution #1: Learn to keep office organized.) Now, as I explained earlier on in my post, I am horrible at keeping houseplants alive. Outdoors? Great. No problem. Indoors? Well, let's just say that my green thumb dies a slow and painful death.

But somehow, the fig has hung in there despite periods of painful neglect. It enjoys plenty of western sunlight in the warmest room in the house, and as long as I remember to water it a couple times a month it keeps on trucking. It is my greatest houseplant success story. Honestly, I have been so incredibly proud simply that I haven't managed to kill this poor little tree-- my hopes for a fig crop on top of everything else were minuscule in comparison.

But this afternoon as I walked into my office, something on my little tree caught my attention. I looked closer and couldn't believe what I saw. Little green figs growing right before my eyes!!! I am so giddy right now, it's ridiculous. Perhaps there is hope for my houseplant ambitions after all.

Fresh figs.
I am already considering the culinary possibilities.
Huzzah!

1 comment:

  1. figs? YUM! The best hors d'ouveres [or however you spell it] i've had was an endive leaf with a carmelized fig and a bit of goat cheese in each leaf. sooo good. and let me know if you want help on the office. i love doing that sort of stuff.

    ReplyDelete

I love to read each of your comments!
Please be kind and respectful to one another-- I reserve the right to moderate & edit otherwise! :)