Blog has moved, searching new blog...

Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Back to the Garden

Getting back to life as usual after a life-altering event is quite the interesting task. How does one go about the day when you are irrevocably changed?

Me? I headed outside.

For the last couple of days I have spent most of my time in the yard. Mowing the lawn, planting out flower pots, transplanting the pepper & eggplant seedlings to the garden, sowing morning glories by the gazebo trellis.

So far, I have completed the first planting of an 8' x 4' section of the potager. Indeterminate tomatoes (Early Girl, Golden Jubilee, Sweet 100, Yellow Pear, and the semi-determinate Mountain Pride) grow happily along the jute trellis, followed consecutively by jalapeno, Mulato Isleno, and bell peppers. Bride & Hansel eggplants round out the transplants. Also planted today include Copra onions-- a storage variety, two varieties of basil (Mammoth Sweet and Aroma 1--just the thought of its scent takes me to summer!), along with a decorative border of Lemon Gem marigolds and Thai Silk California poppies.

They say that growing peppers alongside marigolds and basil is an excellent pest deterrent. I'm truly hoping this is the case-- for I am totally committed to succeeding at growing bell peppers this year. Every year my mom grows these majestic plants with softball-sized, gorgeous peppers. For the last couple of years, I have been lucky if my plants survive... and typically end up with only a sad, shriveled excuse of a pepper-- or two. Some of it has been pests, and some of it has been a sad lack of tender loving care on my end. Not this year. These babies are growing if it's the last thing I do.

Fresh air, flowers, and sunshine.
If that's not a remedy for a rough week, I don't know what is.

1 comment:

I love to read each of your comments!
Please be kind and respectful to one another-- I reserve the right to moderate & edit otherwise! :)