from cornfields and concrete.
I am from skyscrapers and forest glens;
from limestone and steel.
I am from the lilac bush, green lawns, and duck ponds.
From the twilight of the firefly's dance and
a cricket serenade.
I'm from guitar chords and piano keys,
from goggle straps and chlorine-scented hair.
I'm from Polish sausage and Italian beef,
from blue lakes and one green river
where the sauce goes on top of the pizza
(naturally.)
from sticky summers and piercing winters.
Of snow and sleet and sun and sky.
I'm from wagon wheels
and transatlantic steam.
I'm from tear-stained faith in every footstep,
from wooden doors carved in a sacred space.
I am from blue spruces and white mountains;
from popcorn popping on the apricot tree.
My father's camera sits
on a shelf beside my own.
Memories upon memories, captured through time.
I am from the photographs, an image slowly developing
carefully
with help from the Master's hand.
• • •
This post is part of a Wordfull Wednesday link-up hosted by Chocolate on my Cranium.
Where are you from?
Write a poem in the style of George Ella Lyon's "Where I'm From" and link up with us!

I am just visiting from WW and I wanted to thank you for the smile that the memory of dancing fireflies brought to my heart.
ReplyDeleteThank you!
I have to say I am getting jealous of all you natural poets. This is a wonderful post. Thank you for sharing.
ReplyDeleteVERY nice! I loved the image of your father's camera sitting next to yours and how you're "an image slowly developing". Made me smile! :)
ReplyDeleteGrowing up in the desert, I'm afraid my kids will never know the wonder of catching fireflies!
ReplyDeleteLoved all the imagery.