- one -
Taylor came home from school a couple of days ago with a quarter taped to a note card. When I asked him about it, he told me that he had found it in the school atrium a few weeks ago and had been concerned about the student that lost it, so he turned it in to his teacher.
They gave it to the school office, which held on to it in case someone came looking for it. When it was never claimed, they returned it to Taylor.
Now, a quarter found on the ground may not seem like a lot to you or me, but for Taylor it is some serious coin. I was so proud of him that he would think of others before himself and turn it in. After I told him as much and gave him a big hug and kiss he looked at me and added,
"I found a bouncy ball in the hall the other day and turned that in too... but that one they haven't given back to me yet."
I'm grateful to hear of his small acts of honesty in the moments when no one is watching. It does a mama proud.
- two -
Work on the temple site continues to move forward, with the construction offices and other preliminary tasks being completed.
Several weeks ago they put up this big green fence surrounding the grounds, which I have affectionately christened "the Bryson barrier."
For the last few months, Bryson had enjoyed driving his work truck onto the site and getting the inside scoop from the workers -- who happen to be from a sister company. No longer. He is pretty bummed about it, even though we knew it was an inevitability.
Work on the temple itself is scheduled to reconvene in earnest on the 16th, according to our stake president. It's an exciting time.
- three -
I really enjoyed this editorial from the Huffington Post this week.
Written by Kara Gebhart Uhl, it's entitled "Apologies to the Parents I Judged Four Years Ago."
I love her take on how your perspective on parenting completely changes after you have children. I know I am entirely guilty of having had a perfectionistic ideal of parenting prior to actually having children of my own. When you are actually thrown into the throes of motherhood, however, reality hits hard. Suddenly you realize that some days just aren't going to go the way you'd like and you have to make peace with complete and utter imperfection.
I particularly enjoyed these thoughts of hers:
My day-to-day routine isn't what I envisioned it would be four years
ago. Some of the things I imagine I'm judged on now are minor, others, a
little more major. But mostly they are simple faults and I now know
that they don't make me a bad parent. Sometimes I leave dirty diapers on
the changing table. My children's socks don't always match. I forget to
brush my daughter's hair. I use TV as a way to take a breather. I
utilize the fast-food drive-thru. I bribe. I'm sometimes too easy. I'm
sometimes too hard. I sometimes make the wrong decision, give the wrong
punishment, ask too much, ask too little. But within all these minor and
major faults is a singular truth: Most days, I'm doing the best I can.
And I honestly believe that's a truth that can be applied to most
parents: Most days, we're all doing the best we can.
- four -
Don't you just love the fashion sense of a five-year-old girl?
Reilly was able to go back to school this week, and yesterday was Grandparents' Day for their class. My parents made the drive down from Cache Valley to attend with her this year, and Reilly wanted to be dressed to the nines for the big occasion.
This is what she came upstairs wearing.
In case you can't quite make out the entire ensemble, that's a bright teal shirt, pink/brown/white skirt, bright red and black checkered socks (with snowmen on them), and her gray Sketchers. Oh, and her fake pearls-- keeping it classy.
It was so incredibly awesome.
If it had been a normal day here at home I probably would have let it go, but I figured a fashion intervention was probably best for our purposes that day. Luckily, she was sufficiently impressed with my proposed modifications.
- five -
You may have heard on the news, but Oreo just celebrated its 100th birthday this week.
Here at our house we're pretty healthy eaters-- mostly whole foods and all that. But all six of us have a horrible weakness for the yummy sandwich cookies.
Growing up, Oreos were a way of life. Every Saturday night we would have what my dad called "wild and crazy parties." It was simply code for Oreo cookies and milk with the family. To this day, it's not really a party at the Ensign house unless there are Oreos involved.
I'm pretty sure my sister could live off of them.
Happy Birthday, Oreo!
Thanks for the memories.
• • •
And those are my five things for the week!
Best wishes for a wonderful spring weekend, everyone.
Thanks for the memories.
• • •
And those are my five things for the week!
Best wishes for a wonderful spring weekend, everyone.





I love your "wild and crazy parties" - that is awesome.
ReplyDeletePS I just read that article. Amen. And I bet she'll write another one just like it when her kids become teenagers - I know I will be eating my words about teens when my kids get there ;)
ReplyDeleteI could totally relate to that article. I actually joke all the time to myself that as soon as I find myself judging another parent I better be prepared to do the same thing myself-- because it always happens!
ReplyDeletePs. and let your little girl know I totally approve of the pearls!