- one -
Happy St. Patrick's Day!!!
We love celebrating St. Patrick's Day here at our house. Bryson has Irish ancestry running through his veins, and Reilly takes her name from that side of the family. It's rather appropriate that she's the child that ended up with freckles and strawberry highlights. I myself don't have any Irish blood (at least as far as my exhaustive research on Family Search has shown), but I do come from the land where St. Patrick's Day is a Very Big Deal. I mean, we even dye the river green every year.
Since most of our family is busy helping with the stake road show tonight, we're having our big dinner tomorrow. We're having our traditional "uncorned" beef and cabbage, which is a more healthful version of the more common dish from Martha Stewart Living. (I substitute ginger ale & a little beef broth for the beer in the recipe.) Served with mashed potatoes, it is seriously yummy.
Then for dessert we're trying out a new recipe for mint-chip ice cream brownies from Our Best Bites, which looks absolutely divine.
In honor of the day, here's an Irish prayer I love:
May God give you...
For every storm, a rainbow,
For every tear, a smile,
For every care, a promise,
And a blessing in each trial.
For every problem life sends,
A faithful friend to share,
For every sigh, a sweet song,
And an answer for each prayer.
- two-
Then for dessert we're trying out a new recipe for mint-chip ice cream brownies from Our Best Bites, which looks absolutely divine.
In honor of the day, here's an Irish prayer I love:
May God give you...
For every storm, a rainbow,
For every tear, a smile,
For every care, a promise,
And a blessing in each trial.
For every problem life sends,
A faithful friend to share,
For every sigh, a sweet song,
And an answer for each prayer.
- two-
We had Reilly's consultation up at Primary Children's Medical Center on Thursday.
It went really well. The short version of the story is that while her reflux is getting all the way into her left kidney that thankfully there is no damage so far. Given the severity of her reflux, she falls into the statistical group of which 80% will outgrow the condition within five years. So at this juncture, she will have to be on several medications and have annual checkups and tests done at Primary Children's until that happens. If she continues to get infections despite the medication or fails to outgrow the reflux, then we will be looking at surgical options. Hopefully that won't have to happen, though.
As a side note, can I just say how impressed I was with Primary Children's? I realize that it is a nationally renowned hospital, but I was really taken with how keyed in to taking care of the whole child they are there. I am very grateful to have such amazing care for our little girl within relatively close proximity to our home.
- three -
Today I'm 24 weeks along with this pregnancy.
I had about a month where I was feeling really great, but the last couple of weeks have been pretty rough.
I started throwing up again, this time in the mornings (the first 20 weeks it was evenings!), which of course has been super fun. I've started swelling up considerably already too. I had to take my wedding band off a few weeks ago. I wake up with my hands very swollen, and go to bed with my feet and legs all puffy. So far my blood pressure has been fine, but it's still 25 points above what it normally is.
Apparently my body only likes it when I grow babies in pairs.
I'm glad I have my next doctor's appointment on Monday.
- four -
Last Saturday we satisfied my garden fever and put the cool weather crops in our raised beds.
I went through our seed stash from previous years to see what might still be viable, and planted all the seeds right into the ground. Usually I grow our broccoli and cauliflower indoors and transplant out with the warm weather crops, but figured this year was as good as ever to experiment. If it doesn't work out, it's not too big a deal this year since a smaller garden is probably better for us with the baby coming anyway.
- five -
I've really enjoyed reading all of the celebratory posts in blogdom in honor of the Relief Society's 170th anniversary.
I think my favorite was Misty's tribute over at J & M Ranch. If you get a chance, you'll have to take a peek.
Some of my favorite thoughts on Relief Society come from Sister Julie B. Beck's address from the 2011 Women's Conference:
The purposes of Relief Society, as determined by the Lord, are to help us increase faith and personal righteousness, strengthen families and homes, and seek out and help those who are in need. That’s why we exist. The outcome is that we will improve women individually and as a whole and prepare for eternal life; that we will build the Lord’s kingdom and homes and wards.
We’re not entertainers. This is the Lord’s business of salvation. That’s the business we’re in. So we teach like the Savior taught, and we teach, and we teach, and we build the Lord’s kingdom. This isn’t about causes or advocacy groups, because we have an advocate. Our Savior, Jesus Christ, is our advocate with the Father. And we stand with Him, doing His work, working for His great cause... This is not a passé, worn-out organization. It is in its ascendancy.
I couldn't agree more.
• • •
Those are my five things for the week!
Best wishes, everyone! Have a wonderful weekend.
♥



ha ha the river dying thing is awesome. Over the top - just the way I like it :)
ReplyDeleteOh, you look beautiful. I sure hope you keep feeling better. Also, I don't know if it will help but I tend to swell a bit when I am pregnant and I've found that eating lots of salt helps keep it from getting out of control. My midwife actually "prescribed" me Lays potato chips one time because they have a really good balance of potassium and salt which are both essential for keeping the water in your body in balance. It was one of my favorite prescriptions :)
ReplyDeleteYou really do look lovely! Congratulations on your pregnancy!
ReplyDelete