- one -
Just when I was starting to relax a bit when it came to Reilly and her health issues of late, everything came roaring back in full force this past week.
Wednesday morning she was looking a bit pale, so I took her temperature even though she didn't feel warm. It was normal, but decided to keep an eye on her and had her rest rather than start getting her ready for school. Just a couple hours later her temperature had risen above 101°. By the time we arrived at the doctor's office a short time later it was well above 102°.
Given the serious nature of these infections and the fact that she's now been in three times in the past few months for the same thing, we had some tests done at the hospital to check for underlying issues.
After a very traumatic diagnostic procedure (for both Ry and her parents!) it was discovered that she has a condition called vesicoureteral reflux. We are still waiting on the pediatrician's assessment as to severity, but hopefully this is something she will outgrow. If she doesn't, or if the severity is determined to be too great a risk factor, she may have to undergo surgery. Despite this, it is a great relief to finally have some answers. We are thankful that we have a diagnosis and a path forward.
- two -
Thanks to everyone who left encouraging words about my lesson last week. I was pretty certain it would all work out-- it always seems to. This last time, though, I was overwhelmed by so many thoughts and ideas and the importance of the topic was weighing heavily on my mind.
With everything that has been going on here lately-- coupled with my fuzzy pregnant brain-- it was a challenge to find that still small voice.
But find me it did.
I actually went to bed the night before my lesson around nine. I had read, studied, and pondered the material for weeks, but still hadn't felt that spiritual nudge as to where my focus needed to be. My lesson outline remained elusive. I was so tired, and it just wasn't coming. So I went to bed with a prayer in my heart and my alarm set to rise early.
Around four in the morning I got up out of bed-- a series of small things continued to wake me from three o'clock on, so I decided to take it as a sign. In the quiet of the dark and silent morning the words finally came.
The lesson went very well, I think.
- three -
I had fun reading about Heather's favorite Dr. Seuss books on her Five Things post in honor of Dr. Seuss's birthday yesterday. Our favorites are very similar-- growing up, mine were Yertle the Turtle, The Lorax, and The Sneetches. Yertle the Turtle was one of my family's all-time favorite bedtime stories. I can still vividly remember curling up on the bed in my parents' room and having them read that book to us. Poor little Mack. Each time his burp sent the tyrannical Yertle down from his lofty heights we kids would giggle and giggle.
But perhaps even more well-loved than Yertle in our family was the short story that immediately follows it in the book-- a tale about a little bird named Gertrude McFuzz.
The moral of the story-- that vanity, jealousy, and materialism can only lead you down a dangerous road have stuck with me through the years. As I've seen our culture cultivate a pervasive attitude of entitlement, this lesson seems all the more relevant.
- four -
A blend of Christian contemporary and indie singer/songwriter genres, it is right up my alley. It has been my soundtrack while I've been navigating the past difficult week.
- five -
Even though there's five inches of snow on the ground right now, I have major garden fever.
Does anyone else get that this time of year?
I always do.
This is the time of year I start planning what our garden will hold-- soon it will be time to plant peas and other frost hardy crops, and we'll start our heirloom tomato seeds under the grow lights in our basement.
I'm trying-- somewhat unsuccessfully-- to restrain myself this year, because my due date in early July is seriously going to limit my ability to cultivate and harvest this year. I realistically know that I can't handle a large diversified garden, but I think I'm in denial about it. I'm still poring over seed catalogs and daydreaming about new varieties. This may be a problem.
• • •
And those are my five things for the week!
Best wishes to all for a wonderful weekend.
♥



Oh, I am glad you are getting things figured out with your little one. That is hard. And I am with you on the garden bug. I swore after last years canning craziness that I wouldn't plant a big garden again, But I guess it is like giving birth. You always forget how much work it is and just how wonderful it is!
ReplyDeleteAnd even if you can't harvest it-- it is still just so fun to do it. And you'd always have lots to give away!
Wow. Reading that covered the whole gambit of emotions. I was freaking out about your daughter, then feeling the Spirit when you talked about your lesson prep, then enjoying your comments about Dr Suess's books (love that man), then enjoying your music, and finally, empathizing with you about the garden dreams. I'm not a huge vegetable gardener, but I am trying (this is only my second year!) but I am an avid flower gardener, and my tulips are already starting to poke past the snow! Soooo excited!
ReplyDeleteso nice to meet your wonderful blog!
ReplyDelete