Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear-- not absence of fear. Except a creature be part coward, it is not a compliment to say it is brave; it is merely a loose misapplication of the word.
- Mark Twain, Pudd'nhead Wilson [1894]
• • •
Sometimes, doing what God asks of us is a joy.
It may stretch us, naturally, but we understand that this is so and walk ahead with confidence in His plan.
Other times, well...It's not always easy.
In the summer of 2009, things were going fantastically well for me. I really felt that I was starting to come into my own. I was in great health, achieving many personal goals I had set for myself, balancing the demands of motherhood relatively well, and finally making peace with my deeply ingrained (and completely unproductive) perfectionism.
Of course, it is in those moments of absolute complacency that the Lord decides to introduce opportunities for growth.
Now at the time, Bryson and I were fully aware that our family was not complete. We knew that there was at least one more spirit meant to bless our family. I was just hesitant to subject my body to the rigors of pregnancy again.
I was stalling.
And to be perfectly honest, I felt justified in that mindset.
You see, pregnancy and I are not exactly on good terms with one another.
It is not always the most simple thing for me to conceive, and when I had in the past, each of the nine months spent developing those precious little babies were a physical nightmare for me. I experienced toxemia (preeclampsia) with both, and my health suffered tremendously.
With Reilly in particular, I was especially ill. I gained weight at an uncontrollable pace despite a balanced diet. My blood pressure jumped to a much higher level than is normal for me. The swelling was absolutely unbearable. Even after my sweet girl was born I continued to suffer from these maladies. The blood pressure increased. The swelling increased horrifically as well, making breastfeeding physically impossible. I was rendered fairly incapable of caring for myself, much less my family.
![]() |
| My sister & I just after Reilly's birth the summer of 2006; us again the summer of 2009 |
I was terrified of going through that again.
I did not want to suffer through nine months (or more) of illness.
I did not want to feel that I wasn't adequately nurturing my two children who were already here.
I did not want to be dependent on the good will of others to take care of the responsibilities I felt were my own.
Seriously.
I did not want to.
It was at this time that Bryson and I had the opportunity to take Taylor and Reilly to the Oquirrh Mountain Temple open house.
There was a tremendous spirit there, and as our little family entered one of the sealing rooms we took a moment to gaze into the beautiful mirrors together-- our reflections echoing endlessly in beautiful symbolism. As I stood there with my family, the Spirit spoke very clearly and directly to my heart.
It was time.
I felt very strongly that I needed to pull myself together and trust in God's plan.
However, just an hour or two later I was starting to waver again. After leaving the sacred halls of the temple, reality set in. Chatting with Bryson as we began the drive back home, I casually mentioned that I thought we should start trying for another baby at the beginning of the upcoming year-- several months into the future.
Keeping his eyes on the road as he drove, Bryson frowned slightly.
"Really?" he postured carefully, "I was kind of thinking that now was the right time. We'll certainly do whatever you think is best, but that's just the impression I felt in the temple."
I groaned inwardly.
"You felt that too?" I asked, a tinge of shame entering my voice. "Well, if the time is right now, then I guess we'd better take Heavenly Father's advice to heart."
And a few short weeks later we were expecting.
And a few short months after that we learned we were expecting double.
Twins!
My head began to spin. I actually laughed at my physician when he mentioned the possibility. A nervous laugh.
But after the confirming ultrasound, I was filled with such peace and joy. I knew we were following God's will for us and that we would be sustained-- come what may.
Now, I wish I could tell you that the months that followed were full of sunshine and roses, but that isn't the case.
It was an enormous challenge.Although I managed to avoid the complications of toxemia, I was still ill throughout most of the pregnancy. But there were many tender mercies also. Unlike before, where I was so nauseous and fatigued that just getting out of bed was a challenge, I was at my best in the morning-- enabling me to tend to my children and get them to school with little incident. While the exhaustion I felt was significant, Bryson's work schedule enabled him to be home to help in the evenings when I was most sick. Those small but substantial blessings reconfirmed to us that the Lord was there and mindful of our needs. That He was pleased with our willingness to listen to the promptings of the Spirit-- even with my initial hesitancy.
Sometimes it takes courage to step forward in faith when the way is fraught with uncertainty.
I don't presume to put myself up as an example of bravery, but for me it was an enormous turning point in my own personal spiritual growth.
It would have been so easy to say, "Certainly God would not wish for me to put my life and the well-being of my children at risk to go through another complicated pregnancy." To take those trusting steps into the dark before the way is lit-- it's challenging at best. But despite our misgivings, we know in Whom we can trust. And we need not be afraid.
For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.
(2 Tim. 1:7)
And yet, following God's will does not necessarily equate to being led down the proverbial primrose path.
Just because we are doing everything we are asked to does not mean that the way will not be filled with difficulty, discouragement, and despair. But as we trust in His infinite wisdom and love for each of us individually, we discover a resilience and inner strength that will see us through the storms of life.
President Thomas S. Monson has said:
Life's journey is not traveled on a freeway devoid of obstacles, pitfalls, and snares. Rather, it is a pathway marked by forks and turnings. Decisions are constantly before us. To make them wisely, courage is needed: the courage to say "No," the courage to say "Yes." Decisions do determine destiny.
The call for courage comes constantly to each of us. It has ever been so, and so shall it ever be.
("The Call for Courage," Apr. 2004 Conference Report)
With the determination to move forward in faith, we can take courage in the fact that the Lord will not forsake us. Even in the midst of adversity He will ever be there.
And by His endless grace, we shall become more than we were before.
• • •
This post is part of a Wordfull Wednesday link-up hosted by Chocolate on my Cranium!


This was beautiful.
ReplyDeleteAfter "finishing" our family, 3years later while in the temple we found out we were not done after all. After a year of trying we finally were able to concieve. What a blessing listening to our Heavenly Father is. Now, my son is 6 and we KNOW he was ment to be in our family.
Our Heavenly Father truly does know us and love us, even when what He asks takes great bravery to do it.
Thank you so much for sharing your story and linking up. I loved reading it.
Wow! So well written. I wish I could express my thoughts as beautifully as you do. Glad you linked up and shared your story. I can't imagine going through such tough pregnancies and then facing another with twins! So glad you are listening and aware of the Lord's plan for your family and that you have the courage to follow His will.
ReplyDeleteWhat a lovely testimony. And so beautifully, and honestly, expressed. Just wow!
ReplyDeleteI found your blog through "choc on my cranium." Thanks. That was absolutely beautiful. You have me thinking about how the Lord wants me to be brave.
ReplyDeleteI'm just visiting from WW.
ReplyDeleteYou write beautifully. Your post was a joy to read.
I really enjoyed this. I agree facing pregnancy requires bravery every time.
ReplyDeleteLovely! The quote that came to mind in reading this is from Elder Paul V. Johnson, "But these trials are not just to test us. They are vitally important to the process of putting on the divine nature. If we handle these afflictions properly, they will be consecrated for our gain."
ReplyDeleteSometimes we are afraid to ask because we already know what God will require of us. It is bravery to ask anyway.
Wow, very cool, and inspiring!:)
ReplyDeleteI love this. I think we too often forget that pregnancy requires true sacrafice and courage. In many ancient cultures women given birth was often compared to men going to war. Both were volunteering their lives to preserve the family. This was a beautiful reminder of that. Thank you
ReplyDeleteFabulous post! Thanks for your thoughts...
ReplyDeleteThis spoke to my heart. I, too, know our family is not complete, but a part of me is stalling and wavering so much. At times I almost have myself convinced that I really shouldn't do it again, but your courage has inspired me to re-open my heart and trust the Lord. Thank you.
ReplyDelete