And when ye shall receive these things, I would exhort you that ye would ask God, the Eternal Father, in the name of Christ, he will manifest the truth of it unto you, by the power of the Holy Ghost.
And by the power of the Holy Ghost ye may know the truth of all things.
(Moroni 10:4-5)
As a young girl, I often wondered just how the Holy Ghost would speak to my soul. How would I know that the Book of Mormon was true?
I was pretty sure I wouldn't hear a voice. And an angelic visitation seemed pretty improbable.
But over time, I did discover for myself that the Book of Mormon was indeed the word of God. I learned how the Holy Ghost communicates with my Spirit. It was not in a dramatic physical manifestation, but in a quiet peaceful feeling that spoke to my soul. Unlike my own emotions, the warm presence of the Holy Ghost seemed to wash over me almost as a wave from some unseen external Source. Although it is sometimes difficult to describe exactly how I know, there is little doubt in my mind that I do know.
President Boyd K. Packer, of our faith's Quorum of the Twelve Apostles once related a story that describes this experience perfectly.
While sitting on an airplane next to a self-professed atheist, President Packer felt prompted to bear his testimony to him that God does indeed live. When the gentleman pressed him to explain exactly how he knew, President Packer found himself at a loss of words to effectively communicate. The words prayer, faith, and discernment meant nothing to his companion.
He said, somewhat mockingly, "You see, you don't really know. If you did, you would be able to tell me how you know."
At that moment, the Holy Ghost brought a sudden insight to President Packer's mind, and he then replied with a question.
Speaking to the atheist he said, "Let me ask if you know what salt tastes like."
"Of course I do," was his reply. "I know what salt tastes like as well as I know anything."
"Then," President Packer countered, "assuming that I had never tasted salt, explain to me just what it tastes like."
After several attempts, he found that he could not do it. While he would explain what it did not taste like, there were no words for what it did taste like. He simply could not describe in words alone the everyday experience of tasting salt.
President Packer recommenced, "My friend, spiritually speaking, I have tasted salt. I am no more able to convey to you in words how this knowledge has come than you are to tell me what salt tastes like. But I say unto you again, there is a God! He does live!"
(President Boyd K. Packer, Ensign, "The Candle of the Lord", Jan 1983)
Similarly, those of us who have received the answer to Moroni's promise may not always be able to articulate the sacred impressions that have brought us to the knowledge we hold dear. But that does not mean that the experiences we share are any less valid.
Much like the rising sun gradually illuminates the sleeping earth below, reading the Book of Mormon (as well as the Bible!) brings light and warmth into my life. It imparts clarity and insight that I wouldn't otherwise possess. Like salt, it adds depth and a richness to my life. Something would certainly be missing without it.
I know that God lives.
I know that He speaks to us in the pages of holy scripture, including the Book of Mormon.
And do you know what?
I know that you can know too.
And ye may know that he is, by the power of the Holy Ghost; wherefore I would exhort you that ye deny not the power of God; for he worketh by power, according to the faith of the children of men, the same today and tomorrow, and forever.
(Moroni 10:7)
• • •
This post is part of a series hosted by the Book of Mormon Forum!
To learn more about the Book of Mormon, please visit this website.
To learn more about the Book of Mormon, please visit this website.


I love reading your posts. I have been told that if you pray for insight, or to know if something is right or true and you don't get an answer, it is because you already know and the Lord knows that you know~ I don't know if that is true, but in reading your posts you are a woman of faith and that maybe why you've never questioned it, because you already know~
ReplyDeleteThat salt analogy is so wonderful, I have used it in FHE to talk about the spirit with a non-member friend before, and it's perfect. I also love that President Packer then bore his testimony, we can't explain everything, but we can testify.
ReplyDeletethis is exactly what I need right now ... thank you!
ReplyDelete