Blog has moved, searching new blog...

Saturday, October 29, 2011

Pumpkin Pancakes

It's been a long time since I posted a new recipe, so I thought I'd break the streak with some seasonal pumpkin recipes.  Prepare yourself.

These pancakes are really yummy.
I know that because Taylor tells me so.
He actually says that they are the best pancakes ever.

I don't know if they're that good, but considering that he is our toughest food critic that must be saying something.

The combination of the pumpkin and whole grains lends itself to a wonderfully hearty breakfast.  Our family loves them traditionally served with butter, maple syrup, and a side of bacon.  I'm tempted to try them with sweetened whipped cream with a hit of cinnamon, topped with pecans.  I'm pretty sure that would be positively divine, but also am pretty certain that the kids wouldn't touch them that way.

On the other hand, maybe that's not such a bad thing.

• • •

Pumpkin Pancakes

2 1/4 cups milk
2 T apple cider vinegar
1 cup pumpkin purée
3 T molasses (brown sugar or sucanat may be substituted)
1 egg
2 T canola oil
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1/2 cup buckwheat flour
2 t baking powder
1 t baking soda
1 t ground cinnamon
1/2 t salt
1/2 t ground ginger
1/2 t ground nutmeg
1/4 t ground allspice
1/4 t ground cloves

1.  Pour milk into measuring glass and stir in vinegar.  Let stand ten minutes in a warm environment.
2.  In a large bowl combine milk mixture, pumpkin purée, molasses, egg, and oil.  Mix well.  Stir remaining ingredients together in a separate bowl, then add to wet ingredients.  Stir just until combined.
3.  Ladle batter onto a hot griddle and cook individual pancakes until edges are starting to set and bottoms are browning.  Flip and cook until desired level of doneness.

Yield:  16 medium-sized pancakes

1 comment:

I love to read each of your comments!
Please be kind and respectful to one another-- I reserve the right to moderate & edit otherwise! :)