Blog has moved, searching new blog...

Sunday, October 9, 2011

Holiness to the Lord

Organize yourselves; prepare every needful thing, and establish a house, even a house of prayer, a house of fasting, a house of faith, a house of learning, a house of glory, a house of order, a house of God

The day finally arrived.
The one we have been anticipating and anxiously awaiting for nearly two years.
It did not disappoint.

It was cold, wet, and wonderful.

Bryson's parents also received tickets for the temple groundbreaking from their ward, so we were fortunate to be able to attend together.  As we were sitting in the seats prior to the service a steady rain was falling.  Bryson frequently would consult his phone to check the weather Doppler, hoping for a sign of improvement, but the storm seemed quite intently situated over our little town.  Nothing could be seen but a vast sea of umbrellas.  The ceremony about to start, my mother-in-law leaned over and quietly remarked, "I think it's about time for everyone to start praying!"

Everyone must have heard her.
Certainly, Someone did.

At the appointed hour, just as the ceremony was about to get underway, the rain slowed.  And stopped.  All that was left was a nearly imperceptible light drizzle-- enough that everyone was able to put the rain gear away, and everyone was able to view the proceedings unimpeded.  A tender mercy for the thousands that had gathered to our beloved wheat field.



Elder Dallin H. Oaks of the Quorum of the Twelve presided over the groundbreaking, and brought an amazing Spirit with him.

"I express gratitude to the Lord for answering our prayers to lift the rain; that's a reminder of His goodness," he remarked, "I observe that it's still pretty cold, and I guess that's a reminder that we're still in mortality and having to work through all the problems involved with that!"

Elder Oaks also spoke of the new temple and how it will stand as a lighted beacon, a symbol of the Gospel of Jesus Christ.  He continued, "That symbol will be an especially prominent beacon in this location.  Standing just adjacent to I-15, the major north-south artery in Utah, [it] will be a dominant and visible influence on the millions who pass here, by day and by night."

When he spoke those words, I had the strong impression that the Lord wishes that for all of us.  To stand as an example of the believers, to borrow a phrase from the apostle Paul.  If our bodies are temples, then perhaps we should also strive to shine forth, unabashedly representing our Savior.  

Elder William R. Walker of the Seventy conducted the meeting, and in his remarks he spoke of the rich pioneer heritage of our community.  He said, "Many of you here are descendants of the righteous pioneer saints who settled in this area.  Those early pioneers are honored today as their early efforts to strengthen and build up the church have borne fruit unto the fourth and fifth generation."  He also remarked that he was sure that many of those early saints were looking down on the proceedings with joy.

I have such a love for my own pioneer forebearers.  I did not know it when I moved to the area, but some of my ancestors helped settle the land very near to where I now live.  In fact, multiple times a week I drive along the canal that my Grandpa Curtis helped build.  To think of his joy as well as the love and happiness of all the other stalwart saints of the past buoys my own heart.

Sister Janette Hales Beckham, 10th general president of the Young Women's organization also spoke, and her words touched me deeply.  She spoke a lot concerning the family and preparing ourselves to be ready for the new temple.  One phrase she quoted spoke directly to my heart and I recognized it as something I definitely needed to hear.  She said, in reference to teaching our children and coming together as a family, "A table surrounded by eager, hungry children ceases to be a table and becomes an altar."  (I may be paraphrasing just a bit there.)

I loved that image.

Taking care of our children and raising them in the Gospel may not always be a picnic (to use an image from Elder Andersen's recent Conference talk), but it is a holy work.  I needed that reminder after a very difficult week.

The dedicatory prayer offered by Elder Oaks was absolutely beautiful, and as he petitioned for angels to protect the temple grounds I could not help but weep.

I also loved the benediction offered by a sister in our ward, the wife of our Stake Patriarch.  She thanked the Lord for all our field had offered us-- how it had fed and nourished our community with its annual harvest of wheat.  I smiled as I considered how the land would continue to feed and nourish us, just in a different way.

Temples are such a blessing.  I have a very strong testimony of the Spirit that can be only found in the house of the Lord.  I know the Holy Ghost speaks to us there, sometimes with great clarity and insight.  I am so grateful to be able to experience the blessing of raising my children in the (literal) shadow of a temple.

It is extremely motivating.
And humbling.


...Always have the temple in your sights.  Do nothing which will keep you from entering its doors and partaking of the sacred and eternal blessings there...  The world can be a challenging and difficult place in which to live.  We are often surrounded by that which would drag us down.  As you and I go to the holy houses of God, as we remember the covenants we make within, we will be more able to bear every trial and to overcome each temptation.  In this sacred sanctuary, we will find peace; we will be renewed and fortified.


- President Thomas S. Monson

5 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing this, Tiffany. You have me in tears--sad that I'm not there anymore to be a part of it, but so happy that it's finally happening!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely beautiful. I love those words of Sister Beckham's too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Tiffany I'm so grateful you took such wonderful notes and you captured the moment so well! I felt like I was there....and weeping too. Just perfect. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh...and I hope you don't mind but I liked your post so much I'm sharing it with the world on FB and G+ is that ok? :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shauni & Jeanne, we miss you too!!! :) You will have to come and visit us when it's completed. (or sooner-- we definitely wouldn't complain!) ;)
    And Jeanne, you are always welcome to share at will. :) Though I mainly write for my family, if what I say can touch the lives of those around me-- I'm all for that. ♥

    ReplyDelete

I love to read each of your comments!
Please be kind and respectful to one another-- I reserve the right to moderate & edit otherwise! :)