
It's funny, the things you pass on to your children.
As I'm sure it is with most people, I find certain smells to be extremely nostalgic and comforting. The scents of lilac & peony take me straight back to my childhood home in suburban Chicago. Get me within one-hundred yards of a chlorinated pool, and I will feel completely in my element. Basil, homemade bread, lavender, freshly cut grass, rosemary, the scent of a newly fallen rain... all heavenly. When I get stressed or anxious, one of my (many) quirks is to smell my hair. I don't know exactly when this tendency emerged, but to this day you can always tell when I'm trying to focus my troubled mind or simply relax. You'll find me with a lock of hair pressed to my face.
Now, for quite a long while I've noticed Reilly toting Sheep around with her little body of grey fluff held close to her face. I honestly never really thought much of it, until the other day when Bryson asked her what she was doing. Reilly looked at Bryson as if the answer was completely obvious. "I'm smelling my Sheep!"
Of course.
It's a security thing. Some people suck their thumbs-- we smell things.
I have to admit, it makes me smile now to watch Reilly wander around the house with Sheep these days. She may have her daddy's eyes, but she did get a few things from her mommy too... for better or worse.
"Do you want to smell my Sheep?" Reilly asked Bryson, as if this were a perfectly natural inclination.
"Oh, yes, please," replied Bryson.
Ahhhh, it is wonderful to be loved by a man that finds your little eccentricities adorable.
Everyone should be so fortunate.
Ah Tiffany, the way you write brings stories so vividly to life. Too cute.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteSo cute! My comfort smells are Coffee, Toast, clorine and cut grass.
ReplyDelete