Blog has moved, searching new blog...

Friday, April 3, 2009

Twirly Patchwork Skirt

Well, I decided this month I was finally going to dust off the old sewing machine and learn how to use it. Sewing has been something I have always wanted to do well, but just have never taken the time to learn. Over the past couple of weeks I've taken some baby steps in the right direction... I think.

I should probably clarify things by saying that I do have a little bit of experience where sewing is concerned-- but 8th grade Home Ec was a l-o-n-g time ago, and aside from the crib bumpers I made (with a lot of help from my mom) when I was expecting Taylor, I haven't touched a sewing machine since.

For my first project, I really wanted to make something for Reilly. I also wanted a project that would allow me to get a lot of practice of basic sewing techniques, so they could gradually become second nature to me.
I found a fantastic tutorial here and decided to go for it.

VoilĂ !
Behold the twirly patchwork skirt!

I just did a simple fold-down casing for an elastic waist, and it turned out pretty good for my first attempt. As I gained more confidence, I decided to get a little crazy & added a little white petticoat underneath. I thought it just finished things off nicely.

Isn't it fun to learn new things?

Turns out, you can teach an old dog new tricks!

4 comments:

  1. wait, you mean you can make more things than the ice cream sundae pillow i made in JJH's home ec class?! who knew?! i love reilly's new skirt. very pretty

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL! Ahhhh, JJH... good times.
    Thanks, Chelsea. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are officially my inspiration. I look at the adorable clothes Shauni and Laura Lee make and tell myself I should try too, but TLC in 8th grade is my only experience. I'm going to try and follow in your footsteps and see what I can do because that skirt is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Super cute! Isn't it great having a daughter to sew for? Poor little Bruce. He doesn't get a lot of produce from the sewing machine. Girls stuff just seems more fun, doesn't it? I like that website for that tutorial. Way to go!

    ReplyDelete

I love to read each of your comments!
Please be kind and respectful to one another-- I reserve the right to moderate & edit otherwise! :)