
There are moments when you know, without a doubt, that God has put someone right in your path-- at the time you absolutely needed it most. Today that experience came from a discussion in Relief Society.
The lesson topic was on adversity, and the shelter we can find with the Lord in the midst of our trials. What a fantastic and oh-so timely message. The Spirit was so tangible throughout the hour, as we discussed strategies for developing an eternal perspective, surrendering ourselves to the Lord's will, and trusting in His eternal plan. I couldn't even say anything, I was so overcome.
Then Debbie, standing in the back of the room, began to speak.
"I really just think that we need to be less afraid to ask for help, and to rely on one another. Sometimes we experience trials that are so overwhelming that the typical Sunday School answers just aren't enough. There are times when reading the scriptures just brings heartache, and when it seems our prayers don't get past the ceiling... In these times, we need one another. It is as if we are given a tiny piece of a much larger puzzle, and are trying to make sense of how in the world it could possibly fit in the greater scheme of things. We are left holding this little blue puzzle piece and continue over and over to try and make it fit in with the other pieces that make up a picture of a lake. We just can't understand why it doesn't fit. But when the puzzle nears completion, we pull back and suddenly realize that it isn't part of the lake at all-- it is part of the sky."
I don't think there was a dry eye in the entire class. I thought that what she said was so eloquent, so profound. I even came home and tried to look up her analogy-- it just sounded so Neal A. Maxwell-esque. But I wasn't able to find any such quotation. It did remind me, however, of some thoughts penned by one of my favorite thinkers, C. S. Lewis.
He illustrated:
Imagine yourself as a living house. God comes in to rebuild that house. At first, perhaps, you can understand what he is doing. He is getting the drains right and stopping the leaks in the roof and so on: you knew that those jobs needed doing and so you are not surprised.
But presently he starts knocking the house about in a way that hurts abominably and does not seem to make sense. What on earth is he up to? The explanation is that he is building quite a different house from the one you thought of— throwing out a new wing here, putting on an extra floor there, running up towers, making courtyards.
You thought you were going to be made into a decent little cottage: but he is building up a palace. He intends to come and live in it himself.(C.S. Lewis, Mere Christianity)
Both thoughts gave me a moment's pause for reflection today. There is such truth in them. Life can be messy. Each of us has been given a path to walk, and the way is not always easy. Sometimes it looks downright impossible! But God's plan is sure. He knows each of us better than we know ourselves, and he knows the lessons we need to experience in this life. We may not understand it. We may keep trying to pound & cram that blue puzzle piece in the wrong spot, cursing at it because it just doesn't make any sense! But God does know what He is doing. We don't have to worry on that one... of that I am certain.
I have the best friends in the world. I am so grateful during these times of heartache to be surrounded by such goodness. I am always so in awe of your strength, compassion, and testimonies. As long as we have each other, I'm sure we can get through anything that comes our way. We just need to open up those blinds to the light, take a deep breath, and keep on breathing.
So thanks, Debbie. I think we all needed to hear that today.
YOU are lovely! thanks for sharing your thoughts. i, too, think we've previously been twins or something--too much in common for it to be otherwise. what tris are you doing this summer?
ReplyDelete