Blog has moved, searching new blog...

Thursday, March 12, 2009

Planting Seeds

Since it would appear that Spring is on its way to the Intermountain West, the kids and I decided to start some seeds yesterday.

Taylor has been learning about the plant life cycle in preschool, so he was especially excited about the entire process. Both he and Reilly were excellent helpers. Taylor poured the water to puff up our little peat pots, and both he and Reilly helped me carefully plant the seeds at the appropriate depth.

For this opening horticultural round we started two varieties of tomato-- Principe Borghese (for melt-in-your-mouth sun dried tomatoes) and Oregon Star (for lovely sauce, salsa, and the like.) We will also be growing a bunch of heirloom varieties, but will order those as plants for simplicity's sake. Also in the batch were bell peppers (Kaleidoscope Mix), hot peppers (Mulato Isleno), and eggplant (Hansel and Bride).

Here's to good eatin' in a few months' time!

3 comments:

  1. How fun! I just ordered my seeds yesterday. All of the heirloom varieties look so good, it's hard to narrow them down and choose which ones I want to try this year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Rachel! Love your site! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK, so I have to come over and see it! I am so far from knowing how to begin doing stuff like that- you're amazing! I also have to tell you that you are the best nursery song leader ever!! You are so creative with bells, scarves, snowman and all!!!

    ReplyDelete

I love to read each of your comments!
Please be kind and respectful to one another-- I reserve the right to moderate & edit otherwise! :)