My good friend Natalie posted this clip from Saturday Night Live on her Facebook profile, and I just couldn't resist sharing it. I actually remember seeing this clip when it came out a few years ago, but with the current economic crisis engulfing the country I felt it was incredibly timely (and funny-- who doesn't love Steve Martin?).
Our ward just recently had a Provident Living fair, where living within your means was the topic du jour. We live in a weird society when it comes to finances. With advertising & continual credit offers bombarding us at every turn we have basically become a culture that believes only in the doctrine of instant gratification. A far cry from our grandparents' anthem "Use it up, wear it out. Make it do, or do without."
Now, I will be the first one to admit to random impulse buys from time to time. But hopefully the current financial events making headlines worldwide will be a wake up call. Maybe our grandparents were on to something.
a big amen to that!
ReplyDeletethere's another great clip floating around on youtube. do a search for "everything's amazing, nobody's happy"
ReplyDelete