Blog has moved, searching new blog...

Thursday, March 5, 2009

Be Ye Perfect

By nature, I am a planner.

It takes great effort for me to just be. My mind is constantly exploring the possibilities of what could be, and where I would like to go next. Over the last couple of years, particularly after I had children-- I realized that this isn't really a great asset most of the time. I was missing little things, precious moments, because my thoughts were looking to the Next Great Chapter. It has been something I have been working to change... to be mindful and fully present in each moment. Some days I am more successful at it than others. Hence this blog. I started writing in an effort to keep focused on the small and yet very significant moments in my life.

I can always tell when I am not fully invested in the present because the first thing that suffers is my writing in this small little corner of cyberspace. I find I don't have much to write about because I have once again become The Planner. My mind is fixed on the future instead of focused on the here and now.

The past couple of days I decided to just unplug things and get back to basics.

To just enjoy being with my kids.
To simplify all the to-do lists, should-do lists, and would-be-really-nice-if-I-could-do lists.
To spend a little time (gasp!) on myself, scheduling time for relaxation and quiet meditation.

As a people, we Latter-Day Saints are very good at being very busy. With perfection as the end goal, certainly we do have a lot of work ahead of us. (See Matthew 5:48.)

In a discussion during Relief Society last Sunday we briefly touched on this topic. One of the sisters talked about how we can become overwhelmed with this most daunting commandment. She remarked that the scriptures do not say that we should "do perfect," but rather "be perfect."

Be. There's that word again.

Now, this isn't to suggest that our lives shouldn't be filled with meaningful, Christ-like service. Of course they should. What I guess I'm saying is that we shouldn't be so consumed with being constantly in motion that we miss out on the joys in life. The little teaching moments with our children. The tender conversation with a dear friend. The intimate reconnection with your beloved spouse. The simple gratitude that comes from quiet meditation.

We ourselves will never be able to "do" enough to win our own salvation. We are all saved through the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ. And while faith without works is dead (James 2), we shouldn't forget that works without faith is pretty fruitless too.

So here's to the present, shining moment.
Don't let it pass you by.

2 comments:

I love to read each of your comments!
Please be kind and respectful to one another-- I reserve the right to moderate & edit otherwise! :)