In his talk just a couple of days ago, our high councilor quoted Jeffrey R. Holland from a devotional given at Brigham Young University nearly thirty years ago. At the time, he (Elder Holland) was serving as the university's president. It amazed me how timely the counsel still was. I enjoyed the quote so much that I decided to look up the speech when I got home-- and I am so glad that I did. The address was entitled For Times of Trouble.
Sometimes life can seem incredibly overwhelming. At times it can become very easy to despair and think you are working against seemingly insurmountable odds. We think, I'll never be good enough. I'll never measure up. How on earth am I ever going to manage that?
Elder Holland's words put things in needed perspective for me:
"If you are trying hard and living right and things still seem burdensome and difficult, take heart. Others have walked that way before you.
Do you feel unpopular and different or outside the inside of things? Read Noah again. Go out there and take a few whacks on the side of your ark and see what popularity was like in 2,500 b.c.
Does the wilderness stretch before you in a never-ending sequence? Read Moses again. Calculate the burden of fighting with the Pharoahs and then a 40-year assignment in Sinai. Some tasks take time.
Accept that. But as the scripture says, “They come to pass.” They do end. We will cross over Jordan eventually. Others have proven it.
Are you afraid people don’t like you? The Prophet Joseph Smith could share a few thoughts with you on that subject.
Do you ever feel untalented or incapable or inferior? Would it help you to know that everyone else feels that way too, including the prophets of God? Moses initially resisted his destiny, pleading that he was not eloquent in language. Jeremiah thought himself a child and was afraid of the faces he would meet.
And Enoch? I ask all of you to remember Enoch as long as you live. This is the young man who, when called to a seemingly impossible task, said, “Why is it that I have found favor in thy sight, [I] am but a lad, and all the people hate me; for I am slow of speech …” (Moses 6:31.)
Enoch was a believer. He stiffened his spine and squared his shoulders and went stutteringly on his way. Plain, old, ungifted, inferior Enoch. And this is what the angels would come to write of him.
“And so great was the faith of Enoch, that he led the people of God, and their enemies came to battle against them; and he spake the word of the Lord, and the earth trembled, and the mountains fled, even according to his command; and the rivers of water were turned out of their course; and the roar of the lions was heard out of the wilderness; and all nations feared greatly, so powerful was the word of Enoch, and so great was the power of the language which God had given him” (Moses 7:13).
Plain, old, inadequate Enoch! Whose name is now synonymous with transcendent righteousness. The next time you are tempted to paint your self-portrait dismal gray, highlighted with lackluster beige, just remember that so have this kingdom’s most splendid men and women been so tempted. I say to you as Joshua said to the tribes of Israel as they faced one of their most difficult tasks, “Sanctify yourselves, for tomorrow the Lord will do wonders among you” (Josh. 3:5)."
Jeffrey R. Holland, “For Times of Trouble,” New Era, Oct 1980, 6Sometimes we forget that we don't have to be perfect in the here and now. The Lord's grace is sufficient for all. And even when we don't believe in ourselves, He believes in us. Where we see weakness, He sees potential. So when you have those days where you don't believe in your own strength, just trust in His. I guarantee He will see you through.
Thank you Tiffany! I needed that! I love to read your wisdom and the eloquence with which you write makes it even better. Thanks for you inspiring blog!
ReplyDeleteThank you so much! I have been down lately, feeling to imperfect in my calling as a branch relief society president. I needed every word of that speech! I am so glad that it does not matter where we live here on earth. The gospel is still the same everywhere. Love from Estonia,
ReplyDeletesister Chan.
Aw, thanks you guys for your kind words! :)
ReplyDeleteAnd Sister Chan-- my thoughts are you! All the best!