This is what happens when one spends the majority of the afternoon in the kitchen, leaving a preschooler to his own devices.
Taylor: (proudly) Mom, I just cleaned the bathroom for you!
Me: (warily) Whaaaaaaaaat?

Taylor: I cleaned the bathroom all by myself! That's what big boys do, Mom. They clean the bathroom.
Me: (chuckling) Okaaay... But what did you clean the bathroom with?
Taylor: I don't know.
Me: (rewording the question) Um... well, how did you clean the bathroom?
Taylor: I don't know.
Me: Hmmm. Why don't you show me how you cleaned the bathroom.
Taylor: Okay!!!
He ran excitedly toward the bathroom, where I was greeted by a small lake of toilet water on the linoleum floor. Groaning inwardly, I tried to stay positive as Taylor happily showed me his cleaning tools-- the toilet brush & the lovely black plunger.
Taylor: See Mom? I'm a big helper!
Mom: Oh, well, Taylor, that's great. Thank you for wanting to help Mommy-- that's such a big boy. But next time, will you please ask Mommy before you clean the bathroom?
Taylor: Sure, Mom. I love you!
It's hard to be irritated when you have such a handy man around the house.
Oh My! What a sweet boy! You are lucky!
ReplyDeletewhat i found most amusing about this is that henry constantly says, "[insert verb here] is what big boys do" "big boys don't [insert grand idea here]." i don't ever remember my siblings saying that.
ReplyDeleteGood job not feaking out! I might have ruined the moment by freaking out a bit, and then sadly realizing I had just squashed all that helping ethusiasm, misdirected as it may be...
ReplyDelete