
"Friendship that flows from the heart cannot be frozen by adversity, as the water that flows from the spring cannot congeal in winter."
- James Fenimore Cooper
Nothing makes you pause like the adversity of a close friend.
After spending three challenging years studying at Brigham Young University, I made the difficult decision to change majors-- and was accepted into a program offered at Utah State University. It was there that I met Jen.
Jen was my very first roommate at Utah State, and we became close friends almost instantly. It was she and another close friend and roommate that introduced me to my beloved Bryson. (That's the 3 of us pictured above-- Jen, Kelly, & I.) During those college years she was there for me through heartache and happiness, and we shared many cherished memories together. We got married within a year of each other. We bought homes, were both expecting little boys-- all around the same time. We share many of the same likes and dislikes. In some ways, it seemed like we lived parallel lives.
Over the years our friendship has remained, although the demands and experiences of life haven't allowed us to visit as often as we would like.
It was three years ago that we first heard the news.
It hit like a sucker punch to the gut.
Brain Cancer.
It didn't seem possible.
How? Why?
But cancer doesn't particularly care about the hows and whys of life. So Jen did what she does best. She fought. And three years later, she is still fighting.
It had been awhile since I had last talked to Jen. Last I had heard, she was upbeat and optimistic about her health. Then this past Saturday, Jen's birthday, I heard the latest blow.
It's not looking good.
Recently Jen was rushed to the ER with an agonizing headache. The neurosurgeon concluded that the pain was being caused by a build-up of pressure, which the tumor in the middle ventricle of her brain was causing. In his opinion, the best course of action would be to let nature take its course-- in essence, giving her a death sentence.
But did I mention that Jen's a fighter?
After some persuasion, the surgeon agreed to (yet another) surgery in order to relieve some of the pressure she has been experiencing. Jen has started a new round of chemo, and she continues doing battle daily against this awful disease.
As I said before, nothing makes you pause like the adversity of a close friend. I cannot fathom the kind of strength and perseverance it must take to continue fighting as Jen does. She continues to inspire her friends, family, and countless others. If her story touches you as well, would you please say a prayer for her or send kind words her way?
You can follow her story here.
My heart aches for my friend, her devoted husband, and their adorable little boy.
Fight, Baby, Fight!!!!!!!!!
After spending three challenging years studying at Brigham Young University, I made the difficult decision to change majors-- and was accepted into a program offered at Utah State University. It was there that I met Jen.
Jen was my very first roommate at Utah State, and we became close friends almost instantly. It was she and another close friend and roommate that introduced me to my beloved Bryson. (That's the 3 of us pictured above-- Jen, Kelly, & I.) During those college years she was there for me through heartache and happiness, and we shared many cherished memories together. We got married within a year of each other. We bought homes, were both expecting little boys-- all around the same time. We share many of the same likes and dislikes. In some ways, it seemed like we lived parallel lives.
Over the years our friendship has remained, although the demands and experiences of life haven't allowed us to visit as often as we would like.
It was three years ago that we first heard the news.
It hit like a sucker punch to the gut.
Brain Cancer.
It didn't seem possible.
How? Why?
But cancer doesn't particularly care about the hows and whys of life. So Jen did what she does best. She fought. And three years later, she is still fighting.
It had been awhile since I had last talked to Jen. Last I had heard, she was upbeat and optimistic about her health. Then this past Saturday, Jen's birthday, I heard the latest blow.
It's not looking good.
Recently Jen was rushed to the ER with an agonizing headache. The neurosurgeon concluded that the pain was being caused by a build-up of pressure, which the tumor in the middle ventricle of her brain was causing. In his opinion, the best course of action would be to let nature take its course-- in essence, giving her a death sentence.
But did I mention that Jen's a fighter?
After some persuasion, the surgeon agreed to (yet another) surgery in order to relieve some of the pressure she has been experiencing. Jen has started a new round of chemo, and she continues doing battle daily against this awful disease.
As I said before, nothing makes you pause like the adversity of a close friend. I cannot fathom the kind of strength and perseverance it must take to continue fighting as Jen does. She continues to inspire her friends, family, and countless others. If her story touches you as well, would you please say a prayer for her or send kind words her way?
You can follow her story here.
My heart aches for my friend, her devoted husband, and their adorable little boy.
Fight, Baby, Fight!!!!!!!!!
Tiffany - of course this post hit very close to home. I'm so very sorry for what your friend is going through and will pray for her and her family. I know miracles are possible and that the Lord always has His plan for us even if we don't understand. ((HUGS))
ReplyDeleteJen will be in my prayers, as well as you too.
ReplyDeleteI just went to her blog and saw that she had passed away .... I'm so sorry. My mom passed away in January--I'd never experienced loss before, but I now understand that the sadness comes in waves. Know that my thoughts are with you the next time a wave hits...
ReplyDelete