Due to the white-out conditions on the roads this morning, Bryson decided to stay put in the office today instead of driving up the canyon. Which, of course, made me happy for two reasons-- One: I didn't have to spend the entire day having visions of his untimely demise by driving in said ridiculous conditions, and Two: The kids and I were able to share his lunch hour with him-- something we enjoy but rarely have opportunity to do.
We were able to meet at a nice little cafe where Bryson & I enjoyed some yummy panini while the kids noshed on a cheese quesadilla. Afterward, I decided to dash into a nearby store and pick up some baking pans that I had noticed were on sale. Bryson followed me over and sat with Taylor & Reilly so I didn't have to do the kid-wrestling-tango that always ensues. I was in and out, with nary a holiday shopping headache! The cashiers were friendly, the patrons were patient, the Salvation Army bell ringer cheery & gracious. Ahhhh, I thought. So nice to have a positive experience this time of year. After loading the wares into the car and kissing Bryson goodbye we parted ways. He drove off in his truck, the kiddos & I in the SUV. The skies cleared, the sun came out. Life was good.
Then as I turned out of the parking lot on to a minor side road the warm fuzzies began to dissipate. I suddenly heard a car horn being laid on thick. Confused, I turned-- wondering what on earth was going on. A second later I saw her. A middle-aged woman driving a white pick up truck, clearly screaming her head off and using all sorts of hand gestures to get her anger across. Hmmm. Apparently, I was the problem.
Now, I am not someone you would label as an aggressive driver. Being raised near a big city, I know how to handle myself on the roads, but I am far from reckless. When I turned out of the parking lot today, this lady was not near me. Which leads me to one of two conclusions. One: That she was driving way too fast for this little road and I failed to notice, or Two: That she just was having a bad day and thought for some reason I slighted her somehow by turning in front of her. Either way-- even if I was in the wrong-- there was absolutely no intention on my part in offending her. And her reaction was clearly over-the-top. Even if I did slow her down for the briefest of moments, she more than quadrupled that time when she decided to slow down and give me a piece of her mind-- even stopping at a green light while I waited to turn left so she could drive the point home!
"Geez Louise," I thought. "What kind of person allows themselves to hang on to so much anger?"
I thought about that the whole way home. It's a good question. Life is so short. Who has time to send that kind of negative energy out into the world?
I really kinda felt bad for this lady.
I mean, c'mon, it's Christmas!
Perhaps she didn't get the memo about peace on earth & goodwill toward men.
As I continued homeward, I decided I needed to let the negativity go. She may have made the decision to send that anger my way, but it didn't mean I had to hold on to it.
"May you be well," I said under my breath as my exit approached.
And I hope she is.
Because, really, no one should harbor such ill feelings this or any time of year. We're all just driving to our own destinations in life... Where is the sense in sowing seeds of hate? It's just not worth it.
I used to give in to the road rage a lot more before I had a toddler that can repeat everything I say. I'm much more laid back now and it's just better all around. I'm sorry she was mean and glad you've let it go!
ReplyDeleteAmen Sister! Road rage is lame:(
ReplyDelete