We have explained to him that Christmas is the time of year that we celebrate the Savior's birthday. In an effort to quell the I-want I-want I-want of the season, we've also been trying to stress the importance of giving rather than receiving. As a mom, I have found myself curious as to what was sinking in and being understood.
Of course, Taylor didn't make me wait too long to find out.
The other night, I was tucking my little man into bed after reading a Christmas story. We had said prayers, sang a song, had kisses & hugs-- when suddenly Taylor looked very concerned.
"Mom?"
"Yes, honey?"
"I just don't know what to get Jesus for His birthday!"
I paused for a moment, wanting to make sure I answered his earnest question seriously and truthfully. In the quiet, I found the words from one of my favorite Christmas carols come to mind:
What can I give Him, poor as I am?
If I were a shepherd, I would bring a lamb.
If I were a Wise Man, I would do my part.
Yet what can I give Him? Give my heart.
("In the Bleak Midwinter" music by Gustav Holst, lyrics by Christina G. Rossetti)
I looked at Taylor.
"I think the best present to give Jesus would be to show kindness and be a good friend to everyone. Do you think Jesus would be happy if you were nice to your friends?"
"Yes, Mom. I think that's a good idea."
And so this year the focus has shifted.
Out with the "bigger & better," in with the "meaningful & heart-felt."
Because what could be better than giving one's heart?
Oh boy Tiff--you gotta stop doin that. Another tear jerker! Thanks for sharing your sweet moments. You are a wonderful writer!
ReplyDeleteI think kids grasp that better than we think they will. It seems like they know what's right a lot faster than we do as adults sometimes!
ReplyDelete