Blog has moved, searching new blog...

Friday, November 30, 2012

{five things xxiv}

Well, hi there! It feels like it's been awhile since I did a Five Things post, so here we go! 

- one -

Since my recent post about her, Reilly has continued to improve daily with her behavioral issues. There is no question in my mind whatsoever that it was the medication that was creating problems for her. Now we are in limbo with her physicians, trying to figure out a better treatment. I am so grateful to have my happy girl back. For the last few months she has acted as though I were the evil stepmother out of some fairy tale. Now kisses, hugs, and laughter have returned. Her sparkle is back. It is wonderful.

- two -

With Taylor in 2011
On a sadder front, my grandfather passed away recently.
Really, it is all for the best, as he had been declining in health steadily over the last several years and was in quite a bit of pain. But there is a gaping hole in our hearts from the loss.

There will be more to say about that later, when I have a real moment to do my thoughts and feelings justice.

In a few days I will be getting on a plane to fly to his funeral while Bryson holds down the fort with the kids for a whirlwind two days.

I am a little nervous about the flight. I am not a very good flyer. Although I have flown pretty extensively in my life, it has been a really long time since I've been on a plane. I know all the logical reasons why I shouldn't stress over it, but I guess that's the thing about phobias-- even mild ones like mine. Reason has no weight. I am really glad to be going so I can be with my family at this time, but to be honest-- I will be so happy once I'm back on the ground in my own little house with my own little family.

- three -

If you haven't read Christian writer Ann Voskamp's blog, you really should.

I read her book, One Thousand Gifts for the second time last month to refocus my thoughts on gratitude and thanksgiving. Her style is somewhere between prose and poetry, and I enjoy delving into her thoughts. I highly recommend it.

I've written a little about my favorite post of hers before, and I also really appreciated thoughts from a more recent post a few weeks back:

You’ve only got one blink of a life to make count for eternity.

Have I read enough chapters out loud to them all piled close or read too many facebook status updates from people I didn’t even really know twenty years ago? 

Have I laughed at enough obnoxious knock-knock jokes or been too busy walking through doors to somewhere else? Or have I played enough rousing games of monopoly, tickled into the dark, listened with every chamber of my selfish heart? Will Levi and his brothers someday be standing in ties to give eulogies that I was a mother who plucked straight out of the pulsing best of her to make them into balding, blessed men?

It’s only your own sacrifices that show up at your funeral.

Am I making any of the right ones?

Lots of food for thought.

- four -

This week was the first week of Advent.

Our family is celebrating this traditional Christian holiday for the first time this year. So far, it has been a great experience and a wonderful start to the Christmas season.

Growing up in a very religiously diverse community, I was vaguely aware of Advent as a child and young adult, but didn't really know all the details.

Advent calendars. I knew what those were.
And a couple of years ago, President Uchtdorf shared some details of how his own family celebrates. (See full sermon here, details under heading "Looking for Christ"-- but read the entire piece while you're at it; it's amazing!)
And that was the entire extent of my expertise on the subject until very recently.

But as I've studied further and tried to create a more contemplative way to bring the spirit of Christ into our home this time of year, I have fallen in love with this holiday. I'm hoping to write a lot more about our experience in the coming days. Stay tuned.

- five -

One of my favorite singer-songwriters, Chris August, posted this acoustic rendition of his song "I Believe" on YouTube a couple of days ago. His words and the lyrics resonated so deeply with how I've been feeling lately that I thought I'd share. (Becca, thinking of you! ♥)
Plus, I'm just a sucker for a great acoustic track.
Enjoy!



 • • •

And those are my five things for Friday!
My warmest wishes to you & yours this wonderful time of year.



2 comments:

  1. That song was perfect for today (and, you know, the past little while).

    Thank you.

    Sorry to hear about your grandfather. Hope you have safe travels and enjoy the healing that can come from being with family at times like these.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have a good trip! Hope it heals your heart.

    And now I am really going to have to read that 1,000 gifts book. It is on my list but now I think it will jump to the top :)

    ReplyDelete

I love to read each of your comments!
Please be kind and respectful to one another-- I reserve the right to moderate & edit otherwise! :)