Blog has moved, searching new blog...

Saturday, December 1, 2012

A Contemplative Christmas Playlist


To be totally honest, I was a little blown away by the response I received to my Thanksgiving playlist a few weeks back. For someone who doesn't even list her blog with search engines, I was taken a little off guard by the traffic flowing to my little corner of the web via Pinterest. So to those of you who enjoyed that post, I am really happy that I was able to do a little something to help make Thanksgiving more contemplative. And many thanks to my blogging buddy Montserrat over at Chocolate on my Cranium, who has shared my enthusiasm for creating a more meaningful Thanksgiving holiday season.

In that same vein, I thought I'd share my Christmas playlist that I've had playing regularly in our home this week. Similarly to my Thanksgiving tracks, I wanted a playlist that would center my thoughts on the Source of our celebration. So if you listen to these songs, you will quickly discover that there are no Santa references, no jingle bells, none of that type of stuff. Not that I don't love sleigh rides, mistletoe, snowmen, and all the other wonderful, fun traditions of this time of year. I do! And I have a library of music with hours upon hours with all those wonderful, traditional, more secular carols that I listen to regularly. You probably do, too.

But that's not what this particular playlist is about.

So here are 55 contemporary, mostly Christ-centered songs (and certainly more to come...), totaling well over 3 hours of listening pleasure that have made a difference in how I have approached the beginning of Advent and the Christmas season. Bear in mind that as it is my playlist, it does cater specifically to my musical tastes-- which lean more toward the indie & folk genres. So apologies if that's really not your thing. Of these 55 tracks, there is only one true repeat song. I couldn't decide which version of "O Holy Night" I preferred-- Shane & Shane's rollicking uptempo take of the beloved hymn (I know, but it works, trust me) or Shawn McDonald's more traditional acoustic version-- so I included both. 

I hope you enjoy.
Have a blessed Christmas season!

(If you are reading this post on an RSS feed reader, please be aware that there is a widget link to my Spotify playlist on my site which will allow you to listen to the entire playlist for free.)


• • •

And here is the track list:

1. Maybe This Christmas - Leigh Nash
2. O Come, O Come, Emmanuel - Bethany Dillon
3. A Baby Will Come - Emilee Cook
4. Come Thou Long Expected Jesus - Daniel Renstrom
5. We Will Find Our Hope - The Brilliance
6. Carol of the Bells / God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen - The Piano Guys
7. O Holy Night - Shane & Shane
8. The Night Before Christmas - Brandon Heath
9. Come and Worship - Bebo Norman
10. O Come All Ye Faithful - Mindy Gledhill
11. Bring a Torch, Jeanette Isabella - Beth Whitney
12. Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring - Steven Sharp Nelson ft. Paul Cardall
13. Angels We Have Heard on High (Acoustic Version) - Chris Tomlin
14. Do You Hear What I Hear? - Nichole Nordeman
15. Breath of Heaven (Mary's Song) - Sara Groves
16. Asleep in the Hay - Jonny Diaz
17. Once in Royal David's City - Sufjan Stevens
18. Winter Snow - Chris Tomlin ft. Audrey Assad
19. In the Bleak Midwinter - Steven Curtis Chapman
20. Better Days - Matt Brouwer
21. I Saw Three Ships / Pat-a-Pan - Michele McLaughlin
22. Away in a Manger - Mindy Smith
23. Joseph's Lullaby - MercyMe
24. You're Here - Francesca Battistelli
25. The First Noel - Phil Wickham
26. Far, Far Away on Judea's Plains - Nancy Hanson
27. Baby Boy - for King & Country
28. Go Tell it on the Mountain - Tenth Avenue North
29. It Came Upon the Midnight Clear - Jars of Clay
30. Peace Peace - Sara Groves
31. Christmastide - The Brilliance
32. Love Came Down at Christmas - Shawn Colvin
33. Hallelujah the Lord Has Come - Jadon Lavik
34. I Wonder as I Wander - Will Ackerman with David Cullen
35. Coventry Carol - Point of Grace
36. God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen - Act of Congress
37. Holy, Holy, Holy - Sufjan Stevens
38. I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day - MercyMe
39. What Child is This? (Greensleeves) - Sarah McLachlan
40. Still, Still, Still - Kirby Heyborne
41. Stars Were Gleaming - Nancy Hanson
42. Joy to the World - Bebo Norman
43. Come Let Us Adore Him - Savannah Ellis
44. Hark the Herald Angels Sing - Daniel Renstrom
45. Jesus is Alive - Josh Wilson
46. The Holly and the Ivy - George Winston
47. Mary, Did You Know? - Ali Matthews
48. O Holy Night - Shawn McDonald
49. We Three Kings - Steven Curtis Chapman
50. Babe in the Straw - Caedmon's Call
51. O Little Town of Bethlehem - FFH
52. Redemption Song - MIKESCHAIR
53. Someday at Christmas - Jack Johnson
54. Silent Night - Shane & Shane
55. It's True - Sara Groves ft. Toby Groves

3 comments:

  1. Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful! Thank you for this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! Another playlist! I think we'll listen while we decorate for Christmas today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Montserrat, that's exactly what we're doing as well! :)

    ReplyDelete

I love to read each of your comments!
Please be kind and respectful to one another-- I reserve the right to moderate & edit otherwise! :)