Blog has moved, searching new blog...

Monday, November 5, 2012

{five things xxiii}

Per Heather's request, I'm posting a Five Things-- Halloween Style. :)

Now, truth be told, Halloween really isn't my favorite holiday. I have fun dressing the kids up and usually myself as well (although sleep deprivation won out to getting a costume for me this year!), but as for the creepy and gory aspects of the day I am just not a fan. I don't like violence... and scary movies are r-e-a-l-l-y not my thing, unless you're talking about old classics like Wait Until Dark.  (The last scary movie I watched was 2002's The Ring... and I'm pretty sure it will be my last. Scared the living daylights out of me, and I think I only watched about half of it-- the rest of the time I covered my eyes!) There's enough darkness in the world without me seeking it out for entertainment.

I've enjoyed hearing ideas on alternative ways to celebrate the day from interesting people from various corners of the web, including Heather, Misty, and Jen. Perhaps next year we'll incorporate some of their ideas with our own traditions to add a little extra depth to the holiday.

At our kids' charter school, instead of a traditional Halloween party, the elementary grades put on a History Fair. Each grade dresses according to the historical era they are studying in their classes and they visit all the grades to learn a little about each time period. I really love that idea, and it was a lot of fun for Taylor and Reilly.

So, without further ado, here are my five little trick-or-treaters!

- one -


Taylor's class is studying the War of 1812. In his class there were soldiers, pioneers, pirates, elegantly dressed ladies of the era... but Taylor was the only Red Coat! 

After researching a little on what the soldiers' uniforms looked like, we decided with a little modification that a marching band costume would make a great British uniform. He was quite debonaire, don't you think? 

That crooked smile. It kills me. :)

- two -


Reilly's class is studying ancient Egypt, so she went as an Egyptian princess. At first she was really excited to get dressed up and do the eye makeup, and then after she saw herself in the mirror she wasn't too sure anymore. I think she was a little nervous of being the only one decked out quite like she was. Once we arrived at the school and she saw all her classmates she became very enthusiastic again. She had lots of other Egyptian princesses, pharaohs, and mummies to keep her company. Taylor said that if he had been in her class he would have gone as Joseph of Egypt or an Israelite slave. That made me smile.

- three - 


With Dani's current girly-girl fascination with all things princess-y or fairy-related, I thought for sure she'd go with one of Reilly's old costumes this year. However, she was not impressed. Instead, she found Taylor's old horse costume and THAT is what she HAD to be this year. She was pretty adorable, I must say. Although, I kept thinking of Jacqueline from the movie Ever After and chuckling. 

"Honestly, Jacqueline, the horse is one of God's noblest creatures!"

- four -


Logan was our resident dragon this year. He was so excited when he saw the costume and immediately got into character the second he put it on. 

He has been running around the house ever since roaring fiercely, as a good dragon should.

I don't think we are ever going to get him to take it off.

- five -


And to round it all out, one of the cutest little monsters this green earth has ever seen.
I adore this happy little man.

• • •

And those are my five things for the week!
Warm wishes to you and yours.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, I adore the idea of having a class all dress up from the time period they are studying... that is brilliant. And wow, that little monster is cute.

    ReplyDelete

I love to read each of your comments!
Please be kind and respectful to one another-- I reserve the right to moderate & edit otherwise! :)