Blog has moved, searching new blog...

Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Lost in Translation

Hat-a-hat!!!!!!!!!!

If you are a parent, then you also know that there are few things more frustrating than translating the dialect of an agitated toddler.

Yesterday I had it going on in stereo.

Hat-a-hat!!!
Hat-a-hat!!!
Haaaaaaaaaaaat-a-HAAAAAAAAAAAAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Heaven help me.

For twenty minutes I stared blankly at Logan and Dani as they enunciated as best they could without comprehending any of it.

I tried giving them every hat of theirs in the house.
No dice.

I'm so sorry, but I don't understand!
I sounded like a broken record.
What hat?!?!?!

Finally, Dani looked at me as if I was the dimmest bulb of the bunch.

Moooooommmmmmmmmmm, a hat-in-a-hat!!!!!

Suddenly the light brightened.

Ohhhhhhhhhh!!!! The Cat in the Hat?

Huge smiles in sync lit up tiny faces as Mom finally got it.

Yes!!! Hat-in-a-hat! Hat-in-a-hat!

Funny how so often the greatest frustrations in life come from simple misunderstandings.
Miscommunications.
When we assume we know where the other person is coming from, when in reality we just don't have a clue.
No matter your age.

Now if you'd so kind as to excuse me, it would seem that story time awaits. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read each of your comments!
Please be kind and respectful to one another-- I reserve the right to moderate & edit otherwise! :)