Bryson's alarm rouses us from deep sleep.
He is off to the gym and then a day of work.
For me, some tossing and turning and eventually back to sleep.
7:00
The pitter patter of little feet.
Taylor.
I roll over, somewhere between waking and sleep
7:07
Eyes open, but seemingly unable to rise.
The spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak.
Relishing the twins' sleeping in.
7:12Mind finally triumphs over matter.
Up and at 'em.
Morning prayers and into the living room.
A glance out the window reveals another cold and snowy day.
I turn our fireplace and the radio on.
Rachmaninov. It's going to be a good day.
In the kitchen, I discover the bag of chocolate chip cookies the kids and I made yesterday.
Not going to lie, I totally sneaked one.
7:20
The twins are awake.
Good morning, babies, I sing.
Good morning babies!
Halfway into the hallway, Dani pauses.
*Baby? Baby!*
She runs back into her room, emerging a moment later with her nearly-forgotten baby.
I hear Logan calling out in Bryson's & my room.
*Daddy? Daddy?*
No, sweetie, Daddy is at work.
So complicated to keep these things straight when you're 21 months old.
7:30
Taylor comes upstairs, toting his binoculars and latest issue of Ranger Rick.
He shows me a picture of shark teeth and another of some baby sloths.
*They're so cute, Mom!*
(The sloths, not the shark teeth.)
Get breakfast going for the three early risers.
I catch up on current events, email, and facebook while I wait for it to finish cooking.
There's a tug on my shirt.
Logan taps the seat next to him.
*Mamamamama.*
I smile and retrieve my breakfast.
Cinnamon-Raisin Oatmeal, cooked in almond milk.
I take my Logan-assigned seat.
8:15
A mad dash to eat, fix Taylor's lunch, and get him out the door.
But Dani has requisitioned one of Taylor's shoes.
There is a moment of panic as we search the house.
*Found it!*
Phew.
In the chaos, we forget to have family prayer.
I'm sure Taylor will chastise me about it when he returns home.
8:26
Out the door and to the bus.
Choose the right today, and be safe! I love you!
*I love you, too!*
Tugs on my heart strings as I watch him scamper down the drive.
9:00
A moment of calm.
The twins are playing peacefully, and Reilly (aka Sleeping Beauty) has arisen.
Breakfast for her, and a mug of hot cocoa for me.
While the water heats, I tackle the mound of laundry that needs folding.
I sip the cocoa in my favorite arm chair, next to the fireplace.
A moment of serenity.
Followed by a morning of chores.
Laundry, dishes, vacuuming.
11:00
An early lunchtime for us all.
Helping Reilly with some schoolwork, then her turn to get to the bus.
She giggles as I (mock) sternly reprimand her for not giving me a proper hug and kiss in her rush out the door.
She more than makes up for it with her enthusiastic embrace.
12:15Putting laundry away.
Dani has (re)discovered Taylor's Perry the Platypus T-shirt in the piles.
She promptly commandeers it. Again.
It hangs down to her knees, but no matter. It is her favorite article of clothing in the entire house.
She has absolutely no idea it belongs to someone else.
1:07
The twins are ready for their nap.
Sippy cups, essential animals, and a Sandra Boynton story are rounded up.
Hugs and kisses and to bed.
A pause.
The exhaustion is starting to hit me.
I am fairly certain that come dinnertime, I won't have an ounce of energy left.
I decide to turn to every pregnant woman's BFF:
The Crock Pot.
Another 30 minutes of defrosting and prepping, and dinner is set.
Chicken Cordon Bleu, slow-cooker style.
2:15
Not much time until the kids return home from school.
That nap I was hoping for doesn't appear to be in the cards.
*sigh*
I decide to get off my feet a little and do something creative.
A short while later, two quilt blocks are completed.
Taylor and Reilly return home.
Snacks and chores and giggles with their little brother and sister.
They have woken up and toddled downstairs to join the party.
4:45
A call from Bryson.
He'll be home earlier than what has been the norm.
He has transferred to an office 45 minutes closer to home.
This is fantastic news.
A happy dance in the kitchen.
I start some rice cooking for dinner.
5:30
Bryson arrives home.
Best part of the day. Hands down.
Heat up some frozen broccoli, dish up the chicken and rice.
Dinner is served.
7:00
Time for the kids to start their bedtime routine.
The living room is tidied up, to much whining and fanfare.
My patience is wearing thin.
Pregnancy-induced sciatica begins to flare up.
Definitely not helping me on the patience front.
I sit in my favorite chair again and start to write about my day.
Bryson comes over for a kiss.
And maybe one more.
7:45
Family scripture study and prayer.
Then bedtime.
For all of us. (Sort of.)
I am not ready for sleep, but fall into bed anyway.
(The flesh, it's still weak.)
Bryson follows.
We chat, read, and cuddle until my eyes refuse to stay open.
Tomorrow is Thursday.
My busy day.
However, at this moment, there is nothing
But peace
And love
And bliss.
Tomorrow can wait.
I am reveling in today.
• • •
This post is part of a Wordfull Wednesday link-up hosted by Chocolate on my Cranium!
What does an ordinary day at your house look like?
Busy mommy! Your such an inspiration Tiffany. I admire you so much. Keep up the great work as mom,wife,and friend.
ReplyDeleteThis was wonderful!! thank you!
ReplyDeleteI feel like my words are weak but reading this is just what I needed, so thank you!
Crockpots are busy moms' lifesavers! Chicken Cordon Bleu in a crockpot? You must share the recipe! Please? =)
ReplyDelete