Blog has moved, searching new blog...

Saturday, June 16, 2012

{five things xx}

- one -

Yesterday we celebrated the birth day of our newest niece, baby Iris.

Bryson and I took our whole crew up to the hospital for a visit, thinking it would be great for our little ones to meet their cousin fresh from heaven's doorstep. I was also curious to see how they would respond to a tiny babe in arms, being that our new arrival is slated to join our family very shortly.

As expected, Reilly and Dani fawned over little Iris, and took turns cradling her close and cooing over her every move. Logan at first seemed completely apathetic toward the baby, more interested in the fact that he could open and close just about any door in my sister-in-law's hospital room. However, when we sat him on Bryson's lap to actually hold the baby, his demeanor changed completely. Affectionate and attentive, my little two-year-old boy gazed at Iris and gave her countless kisses on the cheek. Taylor surprised me the most. Normally our most intense child, he was singularly gentle and tender. He was completely awestruck by his sweet little cousin. In turn I was awestruck by his soft and loving response.

I have thought a lot about how our four children will adapt to the fifth little sibling in the coming days.
After witnessing their outpouring of love and adoration for little Iris, I am sure that everything is going to be just fine. Every child should feel so welcomed and wanted. 

- two -

I am honestly just grateful to have made it to the weekend in one piece.
It has been a crazy week.

Mostly, it's of my own creation. Having known our baby's due date would fall this time of the year had me trying to squeeze in summer activities for our two oldest in the first two weeks of June. Normally, I'm not one to overschedule our kids-- in fact, I really try to stay away from that sort of thing. Now I'm even more convinced to avoid it.
Soccer day camp, track, swim lessons, dance rehearsals & end of the year recital...

I am happy to say that we made it through without too much wear and tear, and that the kids had an absolute blast.

I am even more happy that we don't have any more weeks of insanity to deal with for the rest of the summer.


- three -

As someone who grew up a Latter-Day Saint in the Chicago area, I've really enjoyed all the positive press concerning Jabari Parker, an LDS high school basketball phenom on the rise. With all the misconceptions swirling out there about my faith in the media, one of the most troubling to me personally is that Latter-Day Saints are racist. As someone who was raised not to see color and having grown up in an environment with friends and acquaintances of all creeds and walks of life, it is an accusation that really gets under my skin. 

Watching someone like Jabari speak honestly and frankly about his faith does this Chicago girl good. 


video platform video management video solutions video player

 
On a recent visit to Utah, Jabari and his brother Christian came and visited with my friend Lindsey and her children after chatting with them on a local radio program. She wrote a great post about their experience-- if you want to read a story that will bring a smile to your face, you'll have to check it out here.


- four -

Last year I wrote a post about Reilly's introduction to competitive swimming and her emphatic declaration that that was what she wanted to do when she got older.

As I've explained before, despite both Bryson's and my passion for the sport-- both having competed and coached for many years-- we have made a very conscious choice not to push our children into it. While we have made swim lessons a priority because we feel it is an important life skill to have, we haven't encouraged or discouraged the competitive side of the sport, leaving it more to them to explore and discover their innate talents and interests. I want them to follow their own passions and dreams.

But every once in awhile, Reilly's swimming aspirations rise to the surface again-- usually when I am least expecting them. This past week it was a spontaneous attempt at butterfly during swim lessons. 
I couldn't believe what I was seeing.


As a former flier myself, I couldn't help but beam with maternal pride. 
It's a pretty good try for a little five year old!

After lessons that day, Reilly informed me that when she grows up she wants to be a ballerina, a swim coach, and a cowgirl.
I believe she may very well do just that.


- five -

The official song of summer has hit our house.
You know a song is ridiculously infectious when even the two-year-olds sing along with the chorus.
I am totally not exaggerating-- Logan is singing at this very moment while I embed the video from YouTube.

Taylor and Reilly know every word by heart and request that I play it on repeat.
And for some reason, it hasn't gotten old yet.
As soon as I get back to running, I expect it will go to the top of my workout playlist.

So with that, I give you TobyMac's "Me Without You"
Listen at your own risk. Just be prepared to throw down some of your best dance moves.
(It's hard to resist.)






• • •

And those are my five things for the week!
Have a wonderful weekend everyone. ♥

1 comment:

  1. okay it is offical-- lets be friends. I was flyer too in high school! I feel a kinship with anyone else who loves to do the butterfly ;)

    Also my kids and I have totally been rocking out the the "Me without you song" too. We had an extreme car dance session the other night. You are right it is almost irresistible.

    And you really keep psyching me out by posting all these pictures of you holding babies that arne't yours;)

    ReplyDelete

I love to read each of your comments!
Please be kind and respectful to one another-- I reserve the right to moderate & edit otherwise! :)