Blog has moved, searching new blog...

Sunday, June 10, 2012

{five things xix}

- one -

Last week we celebrated the wedding of Bryson's baby brother Kyle to his beautiful bride Meggen. 


Attending a temple wedding is such a joyous, spiritual experience. I am so grateful that we were able to be present on their special day.

Even if it did make me feel a bit old.
 Kyle was just eleven years old when Bryson and I were married.

Kyle dancing with my mom at B's & my wedding
Seriously?
Where does the time go?

But being there in that sacred space witnessing Kyle and Meggen make holy covenants with one another and the Lord, I was transported back to that beautiful day when Bryson and I knelt across a similar altar in the Chicago Temple and made those same promises ten years ago. To honor and cherish one another not just until death do us part but for time and all eternity.

 I love being married to my very best friend, and I wish my brother and newest sister-in-law the same happiness that Bryson and I share. Truly, there is nothing better.


- two -

Laying in bed-- home base for the next few weeks
I'm still hanging in there at 36 weeks.
Really, I'm doing pretty well.

Lately I have been going through this disconcerting cycle where my pulse will start racing inexplicably (it was 140 bpm yesterday just laying in bed!), then normalize, then my blood pressure will shoot up, then normalize.  It hasn't had any adverse effects on the baby as of yet and it hasn't been severe enough to warrant additional medical intervention, so I just keep trying to lay low and rest up. Other than the exhaustion and occasional headaches, I've felt fine. We'll continue to watch and monitor my condition, but I feel confident that everything will work out well. I've been through this weird borderline preeclampsia twice before, so it's not foreign territory to me.

It occurred to me recently that all of the pictures I've taken of myself during this pregnancy have been on a Sunday morning before church or some other event where I am dressed up and have actually brushed my hair. 

NOT what I normally look like on a regular basis
This is SO not my daily look.

Lately I have been sporting Bryson's oversized college T-shirts and basketball shorts around the house, and if I'm leaving the house then I'll think about putting on some maternity jeans or a good stretchy skirt. It's all about comfort couture at this point.

Despite all the physical difficulties and emotional fatigue I've been going through, I can honestly say that this pregnancy has been very rewarding. I have learned a lot about myself and have grown in many new and different ways-- mentally, emotionally, and spiritually.
Here's hoping for another few weeks of baby growing!


- three -

On Friday I acquired a copy of this wonderful book, The Gift of Giving Life, which is coauthored by several LDS women I've gotten to know through the blogosphere-- including my friend Heather at Women in the Scriptures.

I was pretty certain that I would enjoy the text, knowing what I know about the authors and the subject at hand, but it has far exceeded my expectations. I have devoured this book, having already read halfway through the 500-some pages since Friday evening. 

Many of the essays included have brought me to tears, and others have filled me with such peace and joy.

As the delivery of our baby boy soon approaches, I have been grateful to read such inspired and inspiring words concerning the divine work we as mothers do in bringing children into this world.

Thanks, ladies, for all the work you put into this beautiful book! I have appreciated your thoughts so very much, especially at this time in my life.


- four -

In keeping with the baby theme going on this week, I thought I'd share this video clip from KSL's Studio 5 of my super talented friend Melissa Martinson.

She is a wonderful photographer based in Cache Valley that specializes in work with babies and small children. She had some great tips for getting the most out of your own home photography with a newborn, and I thought I'd share the information-- I know I'll be using a lot of it in the coming weeks!

You can also check out Melissa's blog here. She does amazing family and wedding photography in addition to her beautiful infant portraiture.



- five -

And just because I think it's awesome...
I thought I'd share this video PBS recently put together of various clips from Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood all remixed into a completely new-- and modern-- creation.
As someone who grew up watching Fred Rogers pretty much daily, it made me smile.
He always seemed like such a meek and humble soul. A gentle man.
I think our world could do with many more like him.








• • •

And those are my five things for the week!
Best wishes, everyone. ♥

1 comment:

  1. Oh you look so beautiful-- and it just isn't because you are dressed up for a wedding either. I am so glad that our book touched you-- that means the world to me-- thank you for sharing that!

    And best wishes with taking it easy-- never easy to do with a little crew running around!

    I am excited for you to bring this little person earth-side!

    ReplyDelete

I love to read each of your comments!
Please be kind and respectful to one another-- I reserve the right to moderate & edit otherwise! :)