Blog has moved, searching new blog...

Wednesday, April 25, 2012

April Adventures • Easter Sunday

Easter is my most favorite holiday.

The fact that there is less commercialization along with fewer obligations to go, do, and be in so many places throughout the holiday season like we experience at Christmastime may have something to do with it.  But mostly, I just love the majesty of the message of Christ's Atonement coupled with the beauty of new life emerging in nature.  I love teaching my children about the Easter story, and keeping the focus directly on the Savior.

We typically enjoy a nice Easter dinner with roasted lamb as the main dish.  This year there were some complications in that regard now that Reilly is old enough to put two and two together when it comes to consuming meat and recognizing the animal from which it comes.  She was surprisingly accepting when it came to the idea of eating lamb, but she insisted that we call it "meat" and not "lamb" when Sheepie was in the room.  Whenever we spoke of Easter dinner during the week, she carefully covered Sheepie's eyes and plugged her ears so that she wouldn't be traumatized.  Such a compassionate little shepherdess, that Reilly.

The other day, she asked me out of the blue, "Mom, do you know why I love Sheepie so much?"

"Why?" I responded, slightly distracted as I unloaded the dishwasher.

"Because she reminds me of Jesus Christ." came the answer.

She now had my complete attention.

"Really?  How is that, sweetie?" I inquired.

Taylor interjected, "Because Jesus is the Lamb of God."  Reilly nodded in agreement.

"That's true," I acknowledged.  "He is also called the Good Shepherd.  I especially love His story about the lost sheep."

Reilly spoke up again, "Yes, that is my favorite story.  I love the Lost Sheep story."

Those two... they sure know how to warm this mother heart of mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read each of your comments!
Please be kind and respectful to one another-- I reserve the right to moderate & edit otherwise! :)