Blog has moved, searching new blog...

Thursday, February 2, 2012

Slow Cooker Chicken Cordon Bleu

By request, here's our family's quick and easy version of chicken cordon bleu.  It's not nearly as fancy as the traditional version, but just as satisfying.

Apologies for the semi-unappetizing photograph...  it is a great challenge to take good pictures of food that's been cooked for hours in a slow cooker.  For this photo, I cut my serving in half to show the gooey ham and cheese center.

The original recipe calls for a can of condensed cream of mushroom soup.  I'm not a huge fan of condensed soups and their long lists of unpronounceable ingredients, but as I do have a stockpile in my basement's food storage, that's what I'm working with until it's gone.  If you're like me and would like a substitute for that particular ingredient, here's a recipe I discovered on Pinterest that I'm looking forward to trying. 

I usually serve this on top of a blend of brown and wild rice.  It sets off the dish nicely and allows you to enjoy all of the yummy sauce.  I hope your family enjoys it as much as mine does!

Slow Cooker Chicken Cordon Bleu

6 boneless-skinless chicken breasts
6 thin slices cooked ham (either leftover ham sliced really thinly, or a couple of slices of deli ham per chicken)
6 slices Swiss cheese
10 3/4 oz. can cream of mushroom soup
1/4 c. milk
sea salt
pepper
herbes de Provence
dried parsley

1.  Place each chicken breast in a plastic ziplock bag, or between two sheets of plastic wrap.  Pound to flatten.
2.  Top each with sliced ham and Swiss cheese; roll up so ham and cheese is enclosed within the chicken.  Secure with two toothpicks.
3.  Arrange chicken portions in a slow cooker, sprinkle salt, pepper and other herbs to taste.
4.  Mix soup and milk; pour over chicken.
5.  Cover and cook on low setting for 4 to 6 hours, until chicken is cooked through.
6.  To serve, remove toothpicks and arrange potions on plates; spoon sauce over the top.

Yield:  6 servings
Recipe adapted from Gooseberry Patch.

1 comment:

I love to read each of your comments!
Please be kind and respectful to one another-- I reserve the right to moderate & edit otherwise! :)