Blog has moved, searching new blog...

Friday, February 24, 2012

{five things xii}

- one -

I seriously woke up on the wrong side of the bed today.

For a good two hours this morning I was grumpy and generally unpleasant to be around.  I have no idea why.  There was no cause for it.  Life is good.  And it's Friday to boot! 

Luckily, I had my Domino handy to turn my mood around.  There's nothing quite like the unpretentious enthusiasm of a dog to make you feel absolutely ridiculous for not embracing the day at full throttle. 


- two -

Bryson & I had a wonderful Valentine's week.  No flowers or chocolates or anything like that-- Bryson is actually a little anti-flowers on Valentine's because it's the "expected" thing to do, coupled with the fact that all the vendors raise their prices so drastically in response to the demand.  He prefers to surprise me with flowers on random occasions, "just because."  I'm totally on board with that. 

Instead, we had take-out on Valentine's Day from our favorite local Indian restaurant after the kids were put to bed and made a fancy night at home of it. 

Then on Friday evening we went out on our big date.  Bryson made reservations at CaffĂ© Molise in downtown SLC, which is an amazing regional Italian restaurant.  The food was absolutely fantastic and the live jazz was wonderful as well. 

Afterward we walked the half block from the restaurant to Abravanel Hall to enjoy the Utah Symphony's performance of Beethoven's 4th Symphony and Rachmaninoff's 2nd Piano Concerto.  The Rach. 2 is one of my all-time favorites.  Although I must say that every time I listen to Rachmaninoff in general I feel a great need to practice the piano more often!  I can only dream to play like that. 


Classical music is so breathtaking live-- my favorite thing is the way the warmth of the lower strings (the cello and bass) wrap around you like a musical embrace.  Beethoven's 4th is a wonderful representative of that.  It's something completely lost when you listen to a recording.

I love that even though Bryson is utterly tone deaf and not particularly musically inclined, he loves going to the symphony.  Rock concerts and the like he could take or leave, but listening to a live orchestra is something he thoroughly enjoys.  I married well.

Thanks for a perfect evening, B.  I love you.  

- three -

Apparently, Monday was a Very Special Day.

It was Sheepie's 5th birthday.
(According to Reilly.)

There was a big to-do around here.
Taylor and Reilly spent the greater part of the afternoon getting everything ready.

Presents, party hats, colorful decorations.
Sheepie even had a party dress.

It's moments like these that I soak up, realizing that before I know it, the little sheep-toting Reilly that I know right now will be all grown up.

These are the moments I will miss so much.
Happy Birthday, Sheepie.

- four -

I had my 20-week ultrasound last Friday as well.
I was a little nervous going in, because I haven't felt much movement-- and after delivering four babies, I typically feel movement earlier and more frequently by this point than I have with this pregnancy.  With the ultrasound we learned that the reason for this is that the placenta is lying anterior to the baby, basically putting another barrier between him and my ability to feel movement.  Everything looks just fine, and that is a tremendous relief.

And, yes, it is a boy!!!!

To be honest, it really wasn't much of a surprise...  Even before we started trying for this pregnancy both Bryson and I had the strongest feeling that it was a little boy that would soon be joining our family.

We are so thrilled.
Well, everyone is-- except for Reilly.
She is a bit disheartened that the girls in our family are soon to be outnumbered.
She brightened up a bit, however, when I reminded her how much she loves the brothers she has now. 

- five -

This Sunday I am teaching a lesson in Relief Society based on Elder Andersen's Conference address on children.

It was my favorite discourse from our most recent General Conference.  I think it is an important talk, with so much that is timely and worth thoughtful consideration.  When I received the assignment, I was really excited.  Now after several weeks of careful study, I am struggling a bit.

In our ward there are women of all backgrounds and situations-- some that have never married, some that have not been able to have children, some that have not been able to have the number of children that they have wanted to have for various reasons.  I fear that there might even be a few that may take offense to the idea that motherhood and having children is a true blessing and an ennobling calling.  It seems that our LDS culture has shifted away from large families.  I've been hearing a lot that for many modern Mormon moms "three is the new six."

Now, I know family size is a deeply personal matter between spouses and the Lord.  The number of children a couple has is most definitely not an accurate measure of how righteous they are.  But I wonder at some of those flippant comments when I hear them.

I know that the Spirit will help guide me as I sort through my lesson material. I'd love to hear any thoughts you might have on the subject as well.  I know there are minds out there that are infinitely superior to mine.  :)

• • •

Those are my five things for Friday!
Have a wonderful weekend, everyone.

5 comments:

  1. Oh, I love it that they gave the sheep a party. So sweet. And best wishes with your lesson. I've found that if you rely on the spirit you can tackle the hardest topics in incredibly healing ways. The spirit really is the best teacher!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so wished we lived near a city that had a symphony! Instead I overload my ipod with all types of songs. But you are right. There is nothing to compare to a live concert.

    When we had this lesson two months ago the teacher started at the end of Elder Anderson's talk. It was perfect. Sister Beck also has some great insights on what motherhood is in the eternal scheme of things in this episode on the Mormon Channel: http://mormonchannel.org/relief-society/questions-and-answers/11

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh, thanks for the link, Montse! I thought Sister Beck had some great remarks in her Women's Conference address last spring as well. I'll definitely be checking out the episode. Don't you love the Relief Society podcast? So awesome. :)
    Thanks, Heather... it really is the Spirit that teaches, and logically I know that if I go with it I'll be just fine. It still makes me nervous sometimes! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. ditto to the Spirit teaching. I'm sure you'll do fine.

    Hubby and I were totally at the Rachmaninoff/Beethoven concert. Wasn't it fabulous!? That pianist was amazing.

    We just bought season tickets for 2012-2013. I love the symphony!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, wow, that's so fun that we were there the same night, Becca! :) Maybe we crossed paths without even knowing it. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love to read each of your comments!
Please be kind and respectful to one another-- I reserve the right to moderate & edit otherwise! :)