Blog has moved, searching new blog...

Sunday, February 5, 2012

{five things xi}

- one -

Another week, another trip to the doctor's office.  I've started to wonder if we should just change our direct deposit so Bryson's paycheck can just go straight to the pediatrician's office.  This time we had to have an abdominal film taken for our little Logan.  Poor little guy is having all sorts of tummy trouble and has been in a great deal of pain.  Thankfully nothing serious is wrong, but he has to be on medication for the next couple of weeks.  So far, he is not a fan.

However, the good news is that the doctor was able to do a follow-up in the same appointment on Friday with Danika and see how her finger is healing up after Sunday's trauma-- and everything looks great.  There is no damage to the joints in her finger, and no signs of infection under the nail where the laceration occurred.  Just 3-4 more weeks of wearing her splint, and she should be good to go. 

It's been an exhausting 2012 so far, but we're hanging in there.
Now that we've conquered January, I feel like we can handle whatever comes our way.
I want to say, "February, do your worst!" but perhaps that isn't the best idea.  No, probably not.

- two -

Do you think God inspires radio disc jockeys?  I think that sometimes he must.

I love music.  All types.  However, I find myself drawn more and more to the great classics.  The dial on my car's radio is usually set to the local classical station.  In particular, I find the sacred choral music written by Vivaldi especially moving.  A couple of Sundays ago, I was feeling especially drained and run down, and when I got in the car one of my most favorite pieces began to play over the airwaves.  In that moment, it felt like a very warm-- and very real-- Providential hug.

The piece is Gloria in D. 
I hope it fills you with the same sense of joy and peace as it does me.
Whenever I hear those opening notes by the strings, my heart swoons.


And since I'm on the subject of Vivaldi, here is another work of his that sends my soul heavenward.  It may very well be my most favorite piece of music of all time, across all genres.  It is an aria from the sacred motet, Nulla in Mundo Pax Sincera.


I'm thankful for inspired composers and musicians (and DJ's, haha!) that bring a touch more beauty to this world.

- three -

We have a superhero in our midst.


Lately one of Dani's favorite things is to wear her blanket like a cape and trounce around in my black cowboy boots.  They go clear up to the tops of her thighs, which makes walking an interesting experience for her to say the least.  But no matter.  She will not be defeated.


It's tough work, saving the world.

- four -

On Friday night, Bryson and I watched the 2003 film made about the life of Mother Teresa. 
I highly recommend it.
While it may not be a big budget film with all the bells and whistles, it is something much greater.  It is a film that will make you stop and think.  It will cause you to reevaluate your priorities.  It may change your perspective on a lot of things in life.
That, to me, is what makes a truly great film.

- five -

Today Taylor bore his testimony in Sacrament Meeting.

He does this often.
(Waaaaay more often than his mom.)

What I love most about Taylor's testimonies is that they always come from the heart.  He doesn't get up and say the same things over and over in an endless repetition each month.  He thinks about what he truly believes and shares his thoughts with the rest of the congregation.
I'm certain that I never ever did that at the age of six.

At one point he shared, "I believe that Jesus lives and that He helps us."

He makes me so proud.  He makes me want to continue to learn and strengthen my own faith in return.  I often think that I learn so much more from him than he does from me!

• • •

And those are my five things for the week!

P.S. Thanks for all the words of encouragement and advice about dealing with sciatica-- I've tried some of your suggestions to great results.  :)

2 comments:

  1. I am going to have to check out that movie about Mother Teresa! Thanks for the suggestion. And I am so glad you are feeling a little better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Listening to our kids bear their testimonies is the best :) My little guy is almost 5, so I still have to "screen" his "testimony" (once before Christmas he wanted to talk about how Jesus loves Santa - and while that's true, I knew he could come up with a more appropriate testimony to bear. And he did). When the bishopric member is bearing his testimony before turning time over to the congregation, V will complain almost the whole time "Why won't he finish talking so that I can go up!!" Ha.

    Kids have such great, pure testimonies. No guile at all. Love 'em.

    ReplyDelete

I love to read each of your comments!
Please be kind and respectful to one another-- I reserve the right to moderate & edit otherwise! :)