We encouraged.
We coaxed.
We begged.
We pleaded.
We bribed.
We threatened.
Nothing was enticing Reilly to abandon her diapers and start learning to use the potty. We tried just about every method in the book, and still there was nothing to show for our efforts except complete apathy on her part. Normally I wouldn't have sweated it, but preschool was starting just around the corner and because she was so excited to attend I was growing increasingly anxious about getting this developmental milestone taken care of. (Not to mention the sizable registration & supply fee I had already plopped down to reserve her spot.)
We read books, we made sticker charts, we gave rewards. We even watched "Elmo's Potty Time" ad nauseum. (Heaven help us all.)
Small successes were quickly followed by long periods of complete disregard for anything to do with the potty. I tried my best to stay upbeat and positive, but the façade was quickly crumbling away. I was certain we'd just have to put off preschool and gymnastics lessons for a few months-- which wouldn't have been such a big deal for me, but would have been an enormous disappointment to Reilly, who had been looking forward to it for months.
Then one day while we were out shopping, I had a sudden stroke of insight.
"Reilly," I asked, "Would you like a pair of big girl Cinderella underwear?"
"Yes!"
We walked over to the underwear display and I paused.
"Are you sure? Hmmmmmmm... I don't know..." I mused. "Only big girls that use the potty every time can have Cinderella underwear."
"I will use the potty, Mom. I promise."
"Well... I suppose... Okay."
The ear-to-ear grin that followed told me I must be on to something.
We took the prized princess panties home and immediately put the ones with Cinderella up on a shelf for her to use when she began to use the potty habitually.
And a few short weeks later-- success!!!
We still have our accidents from time to time, but honestly-- the difference has been night and day.
I guess sometimes it's just all about the clothes.
No comments:
Post a Comment
I love to read each of your comments!
Please be kind and respectful to one another-- I reserve the right to moderate & edit otherwise! :)