Knowing that I had a lot of stories tucked away, I volunteered to share a couple things. As I dove into my own family history, I was surprised at how many things I had forgotten. Later that evening I put some highlights of what I had shared on Instagram and Facebook, to the delight of some of my cousins who had never heard the stories.
This has always been a pretty personal blog. I write because it is necessary for my mental health. I have been writing as long as I can remember, whether it be stories, poems, journaling, or blogging. Writing helps me make sense of the world, and perhaps even more so-- make sense of myself. I feel stifled when I don't have that outlet. It helps me share my heart with my family and friends. And part of that heart belongs to those who have gone before me.
In that light, I've decided to start sharing some of my family history stories here as a means to collect them in one place on the web. I'm especially excited to share these stories with my children.
To start this series off, I thought I'd share a poem written by my great grandmother, Adeline Rasmussen Ensign when she lived in Detroit, Michigan. She was a very talented musician who played the organ in the Assembly Hall at Temple Square as well as being a lovely poetess.
"Life"
Life is but an orchestra
Led by God's direction.
Some are called to play the high parts,
Some the low,
Yet each has a place.
In the major portion, life flows smoothly,
Life so rich with hopes and joys;
Then a minor strain is heard--
Beautiful in the sadness of sweet sorrow,
And it lingers in our hearts.
As a player in this orchestra
Let me play my part with loving service,
Let me learn to harmonize the melodies of life
Whether sad or joyous,
Let me understand,
Let me feel God's hand in times of sorrow,
Let me live!
Let me love!
In this orchestra called Life I have a part,
Let me play it well.

No comments:
Post a Comment
I love to read each of your comments!
Please be kind and respectful to one another-- I reserve the right to moderate & edit otherwise! :)