And there is something special about a springtime Sabbath that is especially appealing.
Perhaps the magic lies in the renewal of the seasons: the sunlight bringing added warmth in its rays; the crocuses and daffodils in bloom; fruit trees budding with promise. It echos the promise each of us have of new life through our Savior.
Since I've been on the topic of Easter music lately, I thought I'd share two additional playlists that I listen to year round-- but with greater frequency this time of year.
The first is a sacred oratorio written by Rob Gardner, The Lamb of God. If you aren't familiar with his work, you need to have the pleasure of discovering it. Truly, it is a masterpiece. It ranks right up there with The Messiah for me. You can learn more about it here. (Special thanks to Montserrat for reminding me of the site!)
(If you are reading this post on an RSS feed reader, please be aware that there is a widget link to my Spotify playlist on my site which will allow you to listen to the entire playlist for free. If for some reason it is not letting you listen from here, you can also search Spotify for "Lamb of God" and/or "Rob Gardner")
My other favorite Sunday playlist this time of year includes favorite sacred works by the Italian composer Antonio Vivaldi. His Gloria and Nulla in mundo pax sincera are two of my all-time favorite pieces of music-- independent of genre. I also put his Dixit Dominus on the playlist.
(RSS readers: playlist widget below, or search Spotify playlist "Sacred Vivaldi," or the individual pieces.)
Gloria
(Latin)
- Glória in excélsis Deo
- et in terra pax homínibus bonae voluntátis.
- Laudámus te,
- benedícimus te,
- adorámus te,
- glorificámus te,
- grátias ágimus tibi propter magnam glóriam tuam,
- Dómine Deus, Rex cæléstis,
- Deus Pater omnípotens.
- Dómine Fili Unigénite, Iesu Christe,
- Dómine Deus, Agnus Dei, Fílius Patris,
- qui tollis peccáta mundi, miserére nobis;
- qui tollis peccáta mundi, súscipe deprecatiónem nostram.
- Qui sedes ad déxteram Patris, miserére nobis.
- Quóniam tu solus Sanctus, tu solus Dóminus, tu solus Altíssimus,
- Iesu Christe, cum Sancto Spíritu: in glória Dei Patris. Amen.
- (English)
Glory to God in the highest, - and on earth peace to people of good will.
- We praise you,
- we bless you,
- we adore you,
- we glorify you,
- we give you thanks for your great glory,
- Lord God, heavenly King,
- O God, almighty Father.
- Lord Jesus Christ, Only Begotten Son,
- Lord God, Lamb of God, Son of the Father,
- you take away the sins of the world, have mercy on us;
- you take away the sins of the world, receive our prayer.
- you are seated at the right hand of the Father, have mercy on us.
- For you alone are the Holy One, you alone are the Lord, you alone are the Most High,
- Jesus Christ, with the Holy Spirit, in the glory of God the Father. Amen.
Best wishes for a peaceful Sabbath evening.

Oooo, Rob Gardner IS on spotify. I hadn't looked as I just listen to the CDs I have. Yay! Now I can find other music that is similar to his.
ReplyDelete