- one -
So it's Tuesday-- kind of an abnormal day for me to have a "five things" post.
But if I were to tell you that I've actually been working on this post since last Friday, would that make it all better? Seriously. Right now I'm just happy to find the time to string more than a few sentences together!
But really, I'm still in weekend mode since today we are celebrating Pioneer Day-- a big state holiday in Utah. We just returned home after spending a few days up at my parents' place in Paradise-- our first overnight sojourn with Owen in tow. It went pretty well, I think. The first night he wasn't quite sure what was going on, but he adapted quickly. I was able to get some much-needed rest and a fun date with Bryson thanks to my wonderful parents.
In honor of the day, I thought I'd share one of my favorite videos. It's an oldie but a goodie of Reilly singing the Utah state song last year.
I love my adopted home state.
- two -
Guess who's one month old already?
Last week Owen officially reached the one month milestone. Today he is exactly five weeks old.
It's amazing to me how a span of time can seem as though it has simultaneously flown by and lasted forever. I am so grateful to have this little man in my life. He is such a treasure.
- three -
I can take very little credit for it, but I am super proud of how well my garden is doing this year despite the neglect it has received at our hands.
We have had the best crop of broccoli ever this year, and our summer squash and tomatoes look to be fantastic as well.
The fruit also has had a banner year-- we had our best cherry harvest ever, and the berries are starting to come into their own with the promise of some wonderful late summer eating.
Of course, some members of the family simply can't wait that long... Just the other day the older four were out playing in the kiddie pool. I turned my back for just a moment and suddenly they were nowhere to be seen. After a quick survey of the yard I found them, all four, gathered around one of the gooseberry bushes making a meal of the green unripe berries.
And in other garden news, I do believe that we just harvested the biggest turnip in Utah County this year.
- four -
I finally finished a craft project I started back when I was pregnant with the twins.
I sewed these little birds for a mobile (inspired by this one) in the last trimester of that pregnancy, and then life intervened and I never was able to finish putting it together. This past weekend I finally got the birds perched on their new home-- some pruned branches from one of our fruit trees.
Bryson, our resident engineer, figured out a way to hang it safely in Owen's room and it is happily situated above his crib. I am very pleased at how it turned out. It even impressed Taylor (no small feat) who keeps telling me how great it looks every time he goes in to look at it.
To make the birds I used this pattern, also found at the Spool website, using leftover fabrics from some of the previous projects I've made for the nursery, as well as some bold black and white prints I had laying around in my stash.
Now I just need to do something with those blank white walls! :)
- five -
My heart has been breaking over the theater shooting in Aurora, Colorado.
Such a terrible, horrific thing-- I don't have many words, just heartfelt prayers.
Two posts have touched me in the aftermath of this tragedy, both written by women who were in the theater that fateful night. One survived. One sadly did not. They are definitely worth your time to read.
Marie of "A Miniature Clay Pot" writes about her experience with a Christian perspective here:
Jessica, who tragically passed away in Aurora, had just missed being a victim of the mall shooting last month in Toronto and wrote about her experience on her blog. Her query, "Is this really the world we live in?" echoes even more loudly today. You can read her words here:
Events like these make me sad for the world my children are growing up in, but also remind me that life is precious and too short to live passively. Hug your loved ones a little closer, and live your life-- not just the length of it, but the breadth as well. I know I plan to.
• • •
Those are my five things for... um... last week!
Best wishes from me to you.






Oh, that bird mobile is FANTASTIC. I love it so much. And woah mama that is a big turnip. I don't even know how to cook turnips! It is fun when gardens produce with very little effort, those are my favorite types;)
ReplyDelete